Why become a member? ×

Acoustic guitar recommendations please

gixasix

A friend is looking for an acoustic or electro acoustic guitar for her son. Budget is around £200 maybe slightly more if needed she's open to new or 2nd hand as he's about to start lessons at school.

He's 13 so I'm guessing she'll be looking for a full size rather than 3/4. She asked 

me for suggestions but I really don't have a clue so thought I'd see if anyone on here had some brands or specific models they would recommend we'd really appreciate it.

Used Art et Lutherie. Handmade in Canada in the same place that Godin, Seagull and Simon & Patrick are made, they're a cheaper sister brand of the latter. Don't be put off by the coloured finishes, they use quality wood that isn't cosmetically suitable for the more expensive models but is otherwise excellent, I had a cedar topped dreadnought which was a beautiful guitar.

Leave the "et" part out when searching for them btw!

One here for £35. I repeat - £35 for a Canadian built acoustic using quality woods:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/509954142060401/

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I've had a Crafter DE6 for nearly 20 years - I tried it out in PMT and it compared favourably with guitars three or four times its price.

Word of warning on Crafter - yes they are great guitars. I used to stock them when I had a shop. But they are (or at least were) shipped with high action. The distributor and reps were aware of this and it was done by choice on the basis that it was quite easy to reduce the bridge height, but not so easy to raise it. If the shop doesn't do basic setup work then you'll need to find someone to tweak it for you.

• Like 1

On 20/10/2024 at 21:04, gixasix said:

A friend is looking for an acoustic or electro acoustic guitar for her son. Budget is around £200 maybe slightly more if needed she's open to new or 2nd hand as he's about to start lessons at school.

He's 13 so I'm guessing she'll be looking for a full size rather than 3/4. She asked 

me for suggestions but I really don't have a clue so thought I'd see if anyone on here had some brands or specific models they would recommend we'd really appreciate it.

Check if he has small hands or short fingers relative to his peers