Why become a member? ×

From where in my chain do I do ad-hoc recording?

rwillett

Hi,

I have the music setup below in my office for noodling around upon.

image.png.9142d72451879d026ba57e6643543ced.png

I also have a Macbook with Logic Pro on BUT that's pretty much in constant use for paid non-music work. I have 2-3 iPads as well.

I very occasionally think that what I'm noodling with sounds quite good and I'd like to record it, much as I'd write notes in a notebook. I know I can't remember everything and wanted to capture it, no doubt crudely, so I can look back on it and perhaps work it up more properly in Logic Pro. Moving the Macbook around is not an option, so I'm trying to work out how to use the iPad. I have GarageBand and am familiar with that, but I'm trying to work out what I need to do here.

Should I put a small and cheap mini mixer between the ToneX and the Yamaha speaker? One output goes to the iPad through something like an iRig HD (which I have) to GarageBand? Could I look at taking a digital tap off the ToneX. The manual appears to have been written by someone whose first language wasn't English and was listening to the instructions through three intermediaries, none of whom spoke a single common language. 

My guess is that I need a Mixer and then feed one channel of the mixer to the iPad through iRig and the other channel to the monitor. However if there are better ways of doing this, I'm all ears.

Thanks

Rob

After taking a walk with the dog, I thought about this a bit more and realised that the above diagram doesn't allow the iPad to send the output to anything without doing some more work, so wondered if this was a better solution. The mixer should allow me to take the iPad output AND the rest of the signal into the monitor.

image.thumb.png.460cf3e66cf9d837e6b2a36962087a06.png

27 minutes ago, rwillett said:

After taking a walk with the dog, I thought about this a bit more and realised that the above diagram doesn't allow the iPad to send the output to anything without doing some more work, so wondered if this was a better solution. The mixer should allow me to take the iPad output AND the rest of the signal into the monitor.

image.thumb.png.460cf3e66cf9d837e6b2a36962087a06.png

If you get a mixer with aux channels you don't need the switcher anymore so long as you don't mind running your main bass signal through the mixer preamp.

You could get something like this to act as both the mixer and Audio Interface. A quick Google suggests it will work on an iPad. Then you don't need the switcher or a separate audio interface and less desk space is taken up.

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=0601-AFS

Edited by MichaelDean

12 hours ago, rwillett said:

Hi,

I have the music setup below in my office for noodling around upon.

image.png.9142d72451879d026ba57e6643543ced.png

I also have a Macbook with Logic Pro on BUT that's pretty much in constant use for paid non-music work. I have 2-3 iPads as well.

I very occasionally think that what I'm noodling with sounds quite good and I'd like to record it, much as I'd write notes in a notebook. I know I can't remember everything and wanted to capture it, no doubt crudely, so I can look back on it and perhaps work it up more properly in Logic Pro. Moving the Macbook around is not an option, so I'm trying to work out how to use the iPad. I have GarageBand and am familiar with that, but I'm trying to work out what I need to do here.

Should I put a small and cheap mini mixer between the ToneX and the Yamaha speaker? One output goes to the iPad through something like an iRig HD (which I have) to GarageBand? Could I look at taking a digital tap off the ToneX. The manual appears to have been written by someone whose first language wasn't English and was listening to the instructions through three intermediaries, none of whom spoke a single common language. 

My guess is that I need a Mixer and then feed one channel of the mixer to the iPad through iRig and the other channel to the monitor. However if there are better ways of doing this, I'm all ears.

Thanks

Rob

A Basschat member should never criticise another for using too much gear, it of course goes against the whole spirit, but if that's what you use for office noodling, I dread to think what you use for recording or gigging :) 

4 minutes ago, Beedster said:

A Basschat member should never criticise another for using too much gear, it of course goes against the whole spirit, but if that's what you use for office noodling, I dread to think what you use for recording or gigging :) 

I thought this was quite a small amount of stuff. I honestly do :) Just to be clear I don't take any offence whatsoever with your comment.

I have the Peterson tuner as I saw it and love the way it worked, not cheap but great. The Mod Dwarf takes the place of any number of pedals. I don't have a single dedicated pedal, though I do sometimes look enviously at some of the stuff people do have. The Mod Dwarf does do amps but I had a chance to get a ToneX pedal quite cheaply so I use that for amps. I look longingly at stuff like a Fender Bassman or even an old original Fender Champion, but if I did that I'd have a lot of amps and I'd use them sparingly. All the iPads and other stuff come along through work and are my equivalent of the tools of the trade. The Yamaha HS7 monitor is to remove the amps (see previous points).

However on my bucket list is to play a set somewhere with a full Fender or Marshall stack (or better still two stacks) at full volume :)

I do have a bass amp for playing but it's rarely used.

I don't gig as I can't find a band to gig with. I live in the Yorkshire Dales and not seen a band looking for a bassist or guitar player for ages. I'd absolutely love to gig as it would force me to practise more. To find a blues or rock band to gig with would be Xmas come early. T'other half would also love me to gig as it stops me moping around the house. Even my daughters would love me to gig as thats cool. I'm not a fantastic player, but I can hold a rhythm down and I'm solid.

I'm trying to do more recording as I am slowly working out some songs. I have no pretensions to becoming a rock star but I do enjoy playing.

This is the whole of my home made pedal board :) Its not wired up as I'm trying to work out the power supply. Please note the space top right just waiting for a mixer or something to drop in.

IMG_3482.thumb.JPG.e2bf84341fbee9c3da771adccd77fcd3.JPG

All the best

Rob

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, rwillett said:

I thought this was quite a small amount of stuff. I honestly do :) Just to be clear I don't take any offence whatsoever with your comment.

I have the Peterson tuner as I saw it and love the way it worked, not cheap but great. The Mod Dwarf takes the place of any number of pedals. I don't have a single dedicated pedal, though I do sometimes look enviously at some of the stuff people do have. The Mod Dwarf does do amps but I had a chance to get a ToneX pedal quite cheaply so I use that for amps. I look longingly at stuff like a Fender Bassman or even an old original Fender Champion, but if I did that I'd have a lot of amps and I'd use them sparingly. All the iPads and other stuff come along through work and are my equivalent of the tools of the trade. The Yamaha HS7 monitor is to remove the amps (see previous points).

However on my bucket list is to play a set somewhere with a full Fender or Marshall stack (or better still two stacks) at full volume :)

I do have a bass amp for playing but it's rarely used.

I don't gig as I can't find a band to gig with. I live in the Yorkshire Dales and not seen a band looking for a bassist or guitar player for ages. I'd absolutely love to gig as it would force me to practise more. To find a blues or rock band to gig with would be Xmas come early. T'other half would also love me to gig as it stops me moping around the house. Even my daughters would love me to gig as thats cool. I'm not a fantastic player, but I can hold a rhythm down and I'm solid.

I'm trying to do more recording as I am slowly working out some songs. I have no pretensions to becoming a rock star but I do enjoy playing.

This is the whole of my home made pedal board :) Its not wired up as I'm trying to work out the power supply. Please note the space top right just waiting for a mixer or something to drop in.

IMG_3482.thumb.JPG.e2bf84341fbee9c3da771adccd77fcd3.JPG

All the best

Rob

Looks like one of these would fit into your pedal board and do at least part of what you want!

Screenshot2024-10-21at11_48_33.thumb.png.6db573b7470460f4995251b6f9727fcf.png

8 hours ago, SimonK said:

If you get a mixer with aux channels you don't need the switcher anymore so long as you don't mind running your main bass signal through the mixer preamp.

7 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

You could get something like this to act as both the mixer and Audio Interface. A quick Google suggests it will work on an iPad. Then you don't need the switcher or a separate audio interface and less desk space is taken up.

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=0601-AFS

Thanks all, I'll check them out.

Rob

HI,

I've ordered a Tri Parallel Mixer, I printed out the footprint to see if it fits, that's the white block, and it seems to be fine. It has input and outputs on the side so that needs to be taken into account.

IMG_3489.thumb.jpeg.7d818b85be2b8e287a16fff2b5284d2a.jpeg

I also printed out some ideas of attaching an iPad to the pedal board. That's the red pole on the left, a left wing pole?, there's a joke in there somewhere :) I wasn't sure how high I could put the iPad but the wobble and vibration when it's at the top of the pole is too much so I'll print a smaller version with a 5cm pole. I'll probably control the iPad using a Bluetooth foot switch.

...be interested to hear what you make of the pedal mixer as I've been meaning to get one for years for similar uses as you (although I have never needed to mount anything on my pedalboard so use a Eurodesk at the moment). However the EHX pedal looks to me like a very flexible piece of kit so long as the sound/signal quality is OK. The only thing is can you cope with green in your black and red colour scheme!?

Damm, I hadn't thought of the colour scheme.

I'll check with my Feng Shui guru, she's on speed dial, and see if I need to move the house walls or something, perhaps put a candle on the 3rd and 6th stairs to accommodate this.  If need be, I'll cancel the order, black, red and green together is a bit dodgy as you say.

Appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Rob