Why become a member? ×

We Need To Talk About The Behringer BDI 21

stewblack

As some of you know I've been trying out various different preamp pedals. 

Last night I used the Behringer BDI 21. At home it seems a bit meh. Doesn't really do much. At the gig it was amazing. A really full rounded sound with that little bit of mix cutting grit. 

Now, it may be one of those situations where the alchemy between pedals, bass, and amp produced the perfect storm. My always on was the JHS Pulp n Peel into the BDI. The bass my Cort with the built in MarkBass active circuit. 

Either way it worked. Lesson learnt; never trust the bedroom sound, always test it in a live situation.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

Last night I used the Behringer BDI 21. At home it seems a bit meh. Doesn't really do much. At the gig it was amazing. A really full rounded sound with that little bit of mix cutting grit. 

Now, it may be one of those situations where the alchemy between pedals, bass, and amp produced the perfect storm. My always on was the JHS Pulp n Peel into the BDI. The bass my Cort with the built in MarkBass active circuit. 

Either way it worked. Lesson learnt; never trust the bedroom sound, always test it in a live situation.

It's great when everything comes together and you're digging your sound!  I REALLY wanted to get one of the pulp and peel compressors but opted for a cheaper unit instead 😖

Excellent bit of kit for the money - I bought a used one for £15.  Stays in my gig bag for emergencies.  I do worry they may be a bit heavily mid scooped as their sansamp inspiration is, but again - for the money you can't go wrong!

38 minutes ago, thisisswanbon said:

It's great when everything comes together and you're digging your sound!  I REALLY wanted to get one of the pulp and peel compressors but opted for a cheaper unit instead 😖

Excellent bit of kit for the money - I bought a used one for £15.  Stays in my gig bag for emergencies.  I do worry they may be a bit heavily mid scooped as their sansamp inspiration is, but again - for the money you can't go wrong!

All I can say is it sat beautifully in the mix, when I dug in it really snarled, when I played gently it was so smooth.

I find that it`s not quite as full-on as the Sansamp so I can coax a more natural amp sound from it. It`s a great sounding piece of kit irrespective of cost, but when you look at just how reasonably priced they are to me anyone gigging venues with FOH can`t make many better choices than taking one of these along as a just-in-case. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Do the simple Resistor Mid Mod on the back of the board...

20230404_203122.thumb.jpg.92a5419e7298b3c97c1a5537965f929c.jpg

and why does it need to be just in case?

20230919_154943.thumb.jpg.35118c8440b535a6f025da7ea9dbe4e7.jpg

Bit of rattle can, and no one would know...

Simple for Leonardo....not for a sausage fingered baboon like me though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul_5 said:

I used to have aBDI-21 as an emergency DI, but personally I prefer the ADI-21; I run it exclusively clean (no speaker sim as it's too distorted for my tastes) and fully sweepable mids. 

Hi P. Intrigued by this I have popped one in my basket. I note the presence of a 'blend' control. 

What does this do? There's no drive, so what is being blended?

7 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Hi P. Intrigued by this I have popped one in my basket. I note the presence of a 'blend' control. 

What does this do? There's no drive, so what is being blended?

Tube/microphone emulation with clean tone. It's been a very long time since I used mine, must have another play with it.

See https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/PLM/data/docs/P0293/M_BE_0709-AAK_ADI21_WW.pdf

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, stewblack said:

Simple for Leonardo....not for a sausage fingered baboon like me though

I was going to offer to do the mod for people, for a drinking voucher or two, but it was too expensive when you consider the pedal price.

Mind you I have not done my own yet....🤣

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

I was going to offer to do the mod for people, for a drinking voucher or two, but it was too expensive when you consider the pedal price.

Mind you I have not done my own yet....🤣

Just the resistor is simple and pence, but would work out £10 postage for the round trip...

That would be best put towards a cheap soldering iron!

13 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I`d happily pay someone to do the mid-mod on my BDI21, my soldering skills being non-existent.

I would be doing the FrankenP mods (click on the link for YouTube video) that allow the mids to be scooped or unscooped. He also shows another mod/switch to change the gain/bandpass filter.

I'd be more than happy to do the resistor mid-mod for anyone in or near Bristol. As @paul_5 says, it takes longer to dis/reassemble than it does to do the mod and it transforms the sound. The scoop that @Supernaut refers to is instantly eradicated.

I did the FrankenP mod and to be honest the unscooped version was so much better that I never touched the switch. If I was doing it again, I wouldn't bother with the switch and would make it permanent.

Edited by Rich

On 21/10/2024 at 11:51, stewblack said:

Never a true word said, so many pedals I've had at home have been 😒 (mainly fuzz) but as soon as volume is introduced 👏

On 21/10/2024 at 17:30, paul_5 said:

I used to have aBDI-21 as an emergency DI, but personally I prefer the ADI-21; I run it exclusively clean (no speaker sim as it's too distorted for my tastes) and fully sweepable mids. 

Just received my ADI-21. Quick blast through the controls and it's a sweet pedal. The sweepable mids are worth the entrance fee on their own!

Great recommendation, thank you 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Just received my ADI-21. Quick blast through the controls and it's a sweet pedal. The sweepable mids are worth the entrance fee on their own!

Great recommendation, thank you 

Yeah, I always preferred Texh21’s Paradriver to the Bassdriver for this reason, especially on fretless!