Why become a member? ×

Has someone ever tried black nylon strings ? (Not necessarily black, I meant nylon coated)

hpc364

I think there are different degrees of nylon/steel. I find Silver Slaps quite nice to play and they also sound rootsy/gutsy, but I briefly used a set of black nylons - possibly Rotosound although I'm not sure - that both felt and sounded quite plastic, not something that would be a problem so much on electric bass but I really didn't like on uptight. They may have improved with some playing-in, but I decided against it.

The problem with all of this of course is that you might love the type of strings I don't :) 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beedster said:

I think there are different degrees of nylon/steel. I find Silver Slaps quite nice to play and they also sound rootsy/gutsy, but I briefly used a set of black nylons - possibly Rotosound although I'm not sure - that both felt and sounded quite plastic, not something that would be a problem so much on electric bass but I really didn't like on uptight. They may have improved with some playing-in, but I decided against it.

The problem with all of this of course is that you might love the type of strings I don't :) 

Thanks, I've just ordered a set.

16 minutes ago, Paddy Morris said:

Silver slaps are lovely.  Very low tension.  They are a little squeaky under the fingers (like wound guitar strings) but very satisfying to play.

They don't work for arco at all.

I was interested first by a set of Aquila Reds I told my wife to listen to some reviews.

She said she preferred tapewound strings.

"But what about bowing ?" I asked, she answered that whenever I play with the bow she wants to break it on my head.

21 minutes ago, Paddy Morris said:

Silver slaps are lovely.  Very low tension.  They are a little squeaky under the fingers (like wound guitar strings) but very satisfying to play.

They don't work for arco at all.

I was interested first by a set of Aquila Reds I told my wife to listen to some reviews.

She said she preferred tapewound strings.

"But what about bowing ?" I asked, she answered that whenever I play with the bow she wants to break it on my head.

I forget to say I ordered the cheapest ones : Pyramid Black Tape.

Maybe they can be bowed, who knows ?

Life is full of surprise.

I don't care about bow, I don't care about bow, I don't care about bow...

I will try !

Son has Roto Tru Bass 65-115 on a G4M Fretless Acoustic... 'sposedly nearest you can get to a DB sound... Not Cheap Mind, £40... luckily the Bass came already strung with them!

(EUB 34"? Wouldn't know if they fit a real upright.)

Edited by PaulThePlug

7 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Son has Roto Tru Bass 65-115 on a G4M Fretless Acoustic... 'sposedly nearest you can get to a DB sound... Not Cheap Mind, £40... luckily the Bass came already strung with them!

(EUB 34"? Wouldn't know if they fit a real upright.)

Double bass strings are really expensive, the bass I've got came with Artino strings with high action, I detuned one string and played it, it was kind of easy.

I don't want to put a lot of money for an instrument that will probably have a lot of problems with a lower action.

So I chose to buy a set of strings, they say it's quite the same diameter than steel strings, maybe a bad choice... I don't know.

A synthetic set like gut-a-like, why not but there are some works to do on the instrument I guess.

I can do it on electric guitars and basses but a double bass, I wouldn't dare.