Why become a member? ×

NBD USA Musicman Sterling 4H 2007

Minininjarob

Bought this recently becuase I needed a 2nd bass, I have my P (first ever bass) but wanted something with a different tone, and my favourite ever bassist (Roger Lima from Less Than Jake) plays them pretty much exclusively. 
I was going to get a Stingray but when I found out that Roger plays a USA Sterling I started looking into it. I have quite short arms and fingers so thought the smaller body and slimmer neck might be good (tried a jazz bass and hated it). Went to try this one and it fitted like a glove, I just couldn’t believe how comfy it was. 
Considered it for a day or so as this is only my second bass and a lot of money for me but in the end I went for it. 
In very good condition for a 2007 bass, the body has some minor marks and a couple of chips in the back (which I will touch up) but the frets are almost perfect and the neck/head perfect. 
it came with a pearl pick guard but included the original black one too so I fitted the black one which I prefer. 
Took it apart a bit to polish the frets and all the metalwork, set the neck and check the intonation, everything works perfectly 

And it sounds AMAZING. Apparently the pickup/preamp drives harder than a Stingray but never played a Ray a/B with this one so wouldn’t know. Turn the bass and mids up a bit and it’s just wonderful (novice so not sure how to describe it - just fat with a rounded zing?). 
Not really sure there’s a lot of difference between the 3 pickup selector options, it doesn’t drastically change the sound. 
Unfortunately one of the strap lock button on the Schaller locks I bought for it was faulty so waiting for Bass Direct to send me another (they were great) and some new strings on the way too. 
Need to raise the action on the A string as it’s a bit low compared to the rest but need to get the proper imperial size Allen key for it. 

IMG_6164.jpeg

IMG_6165.jpeg

IMG_6166.jpeg

Edited by Minininjarob
  • Like 17

• Minininjarob changed the title to NBD USA Musicman Sterling 4H 2007

Congratulations, good choice! I’ve owned many Stingrays over the years but, at my loss, never a Sterling. I remember the first time trying one thinking that this is a much nicer bass than my Ray. I remember that there was a much broader tone range with the three way switch though? I’d have thought that getting some black knobs should be easy enough. 

Anyhow, great bass! Enjoy. 

3 hours ago, bigthumb said:

Congratulations, good choice! I’ve owned many Stingrays over the years but, at my loss, never a Sterling. I remember the first time trying one thinking that this is a much nicer bass than my Ray. I remember that there was a much broader tone range with the three way switch though? I’d have thought that getting some black knobs should be easy enough. 

Ordered some new knobs in black, from Northwest Guitars, hopefully they will look ok. 

3 hours ago, bigthumb said:

Actually the more I play it the more difference I hear in the 3 positions. 
It sounds great flat EQ with just a little bass boost when playing with a pick as I do. One of the positions sounds a little more vintage and rounded off. 

• Like 1

Great choice……..well done!

When you change the control knobs please take special care with those that have a centre detent. To retain the centre detent “feel” of the Musicman potentiometers you need always to remove and replace the control knobs when the pot is at centre detent. If you don’t, you won’t have a centre detent anymore.

Ask me how I know.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

Great choice……..well done!

When you change the control knobs please take special care with those that have a centre detent. To retain the centre detent “feel” of the Musicman potentiometers you need always to remove and replace the control knobs when the pot is at centre detent. If you don’t, you won’t have a centre detent anymore.

Ask me how I know.

Crap, might be too late (rushes to check) phew it’s ok on the one I took off to measure. 

I've owned a few. Love the neck profile, probably still my favourite 4 string bass neck out there.

I never used the series setting (closest to neck) on either my Sterlings then or Stingray 5 basses now. Parallel (nearest to bridge) 90% of the time but I do like the middle single coil setting as well. 

Congratulations! Black/black/maple is an iconic look on a MusicMan too😍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dub_junkie said:

I've owned a few. Love the neck profile, probably still my favourite 4 string bass neck out there.

I never used the series setting (closest to neck) on either my Sterlings then or Stingray 5 basses now. Parallel (nearest to bridge) 90% of the time but I do like the middle single coil setting as well. 

Congratulations! Black/black/maple is an iconic look on a MusicMan too😍

Can you explain how each position sounds to you? It might be helpful for me. 
The colour is growing on me. I really wanted a bright colour maybe one of the clear colours but they seem to be very rare. Roger Lima has had a blue, red and now a neon green one which all look good but Musicman gives them to him with a custom pick guard so that’s a little easier for him. 😂

Maybe soon I’ll be bouncing round a stage like Roger. . 

IMG_6081.jpeg

Edited by Minininjarob

3 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

Can you explain how each position sounds to you? It might be helpful for me. 

Just sold mine after a number of years of ownership (only because a Darkray in starry night finish became available) but here’s my take:

1. Series, my favourite, very punchy and in your face, particularly in a gig situation. Add a touch of bass and it’s heaven.

2. Parallel, classic stingray but a bit harsher due to the ceramic pup. I used this when I wanted a bit of top end bite and definition.

3. Single coil, always seemed a bit thin to me, like the bridge pup on a Jazz but a bit more bottom end. Don’t think I ever used this setting on a gig.IMG_0040.thumb.jpeg.78d4d74f1202df9562bc3f5c2e9f98ff.jpeg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Delberthot said:

I have a black Sterling 4HH with matching headstock and it's one bass I'll never part with.

As do I.

Mine currently has a green pearl scratchplate but is black Sterling 4HH with matching headstock.

I will never part with mine.

I am no longer interested in other basses - it's like a real marriage that actually means something.

Parallel - more transparent, open sounding than series. Like a Stingray but with a little extra grind due to the ceramic pickup and voicing of the preamp 

Single coil - more focused, thinner sounding, actually found the more I used this the more I liked it. 

Series - biggest sounding of the three with more low mids? Just never felt it worked for me as such because the almost smiley face EQ curve in the parallel setting was what I liked about musicman from the off. Deep bottom with almost clicky top 🙂

All of the above goes for the Stingray 5. Old habits die hard. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Minininjarob said:

Ok so black strap locks fitted, also some black control knobs and black screws for the pick guard. Looks a lot neater now. 
What do you think? 

IMG_6178.jpeg

IMG_6165.jpeg

Looking very stealth.

If you decide to sell the original knobs let me know - I’m looking for 3 chrome ones.

32 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Looking very stealth.

If you decide to sell the original knobs let me know - I’m looking for 3 chrome ones.

I would do but I like to keep the original ones just in case I ever sell. 
I got mine from Northwest Guitars and they do some nice original looking chrome ones. I got the 6.3mm post ones. 

• Thanks 1

Lovely bass. EBMM make such good instruments. Quality American-made guitars. May you get much pleasure from owning it.

Personally, I prefer the original knurled  chrome knobs; it's part of the Music Man livery and they match the chrome hardware. 

Edited by Misdee