Why become a member? ×

Visit to the Rotosound factory

As you will see, from my signature, I am fortunate to be a Rotosound endorsee. In anticipation of a new string order, I asked if I could collect the strings from the factory, and have a look around. That request was granted.

Accordingly, me and @Rumblefish braved Junction 10 of the M25 and the M25 itself to head to Sevenoaks, to meet up with the artist rep and have a look around. I have to say, we were both fascinated to see the process from wire store to the smoothing of the (flatwound) strings. What was also fascinating was the lervel of a) hand operation, and b) the machines that had been designed by previous members of the Howe family, and that were still in use. Additionally, as well as working on designs for new machines, James is the man to undertake the maintenance of the machines in the factory. Some of them dated back to the very beginnings of the factory, and original machines were still in use today.

We were both impressed by the whole process and the sheer skill of the folk who guide the windings onto the core by hand, and by eye. Even the ladies in the packing room were hand coiling the strings to go into the packets. How they produced bundles of strings with the same diameter was astounding to watch.

I know not everyone here is a fan, but the sheer amount of manual intervention in the production of the strings was reassuring, and the 'British' ethos of the company was very evident. The core steel of the strings may be sourced externally, but everything else is done in-house, and on machines that had been designed and built in-house. A truly wonderful operation.

I didn't want to disturb people by taking pictures, but I promise we did go!!

• Like 14

6 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Big Rotosound user here as well. I love their Jazz Flats, so musical and amazing on my fretless P-Bass. I also use their Nickel Swing 66 Rounds on my fretless Jazz. Just wonderful strings.

Those are my exact choices, too. The nickel rounds are lovely sounding strings.