Why become a member? ×

Sick of ebay (Rant)

uk_lefty

Getting really sick of ebay. Selling items on there is so much more hassle than it's worth. It's not necessarily eBay, but just some buyers I've had bad experience with.

Sold an effects pedal. It's about 20 years old, maybe more. Got loads of snarky emails because one screw was missing for the battery cover, absolutely no effect on the functioning of the pedal. Loads of cagey "what do you suggest to remedy this?" Ummmm I can post you a screw?

Now going through something similar but with a different and more expensive item of equipment. Buyer says it has arrived DOA when I know it was in perfect working condition. I have a feeling I might be getting done by having defective parts placed in mine and it sent back for a full refund with me left carrying loads of cost and now some knackered parts. 

Had a bad experience with DPD (I think??!) losing a parcel when I sold a bass to some bloke who eventually received it and stole the knobs before sending it back!!! The tight g!t should have just bought some knobs online and saved everyone the headache. 

People eh?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Yep, Div chancers msging me on a £500 instrument, 'I'll give you £160 cash and pick it up tomorrow yeah...' followed by them being ignored...then punters that aim high just to find the reserve and back out.... I haven't sold squat on eBay for years and the charges are fun, FB marketplace is worse for scammers mind...

Always cross my fingers when saying anything 🤞

My eBay transactiond are , so far so good ! To me it depends on what you're buying or selling . 

I only had one potentially bad experience when selling vinyl 12" and albums ( selling ) . Royal Mail somehow deliberately damaged a rare ish Metallica 12" . I asked the buyer if it was okay to refund postsge and that he keeps it . ( The sleeve is rare ) . He was okay with that  and provided positive feedback explain8ng my helpful solution . 

Buying vinyl from 2 different sellers which never arrived . Got refunds and apologies . Me being polite etc helps .

Buying a kaossilator pro which didn't power up . Thankfully eBay and PayPal sorted problem within a few days and refunded. 

I haven't sold any basses on eBay , but did buy from 2 sellers in Germany who were great . If I was selling basses I'd  ask for collection only as then in theory there should be no problems . 

What I find annoying about eBay these days is , if you so much as look at an item you have an offer from the seller. Or they send messages about things that don't interest me ,and think I should buy it .

• Like 1

I sold some vinyl on there some years ago.

One buyer, clearly an A-grade tool, wrote to me stating that he loved the item, but in retrospect, he’d decided the postage cost was too high (it was rock bottom).

He threatened negative FB unless I gave him some back. I offered a pound (he’d be charged less than two for a number of 7” singles). He was happy, and went on the leave positive FB. 🤓

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, sarahsaysso said:

Surprised ebay is still so popular!

With buyers, yes, it's popular.  What other "shop" offers a full range of low-value items, and second hand obscure books and CDs?  

With sellers, I think that it is less popular, given the number of problems that have been shared here. I suspect that is why ebay has offered virtually free selling  - they need sellers to attract buyers. 

Certainly it's not because of the goodness of their hearts that they are offering discounted prices for sellers!

• Like 3

I closed my account this year after Evri (booked through eBay) either stole my parcel or delivered it to the wrong address, despite uploading security camera data and eBay admitting it was lost they still made me jump through hoops to get a refund.

For buying cheaper new items I just use AliExpress which is much better, for buying/selling things like used basses/amps etc I just buy off here or FB marketplace. I sold two basses recently on FB, a few timewasters but both sold pretty quickly at the prices I set, much easier to spot potential scammers as well given they have a full profile you can view.

• Like 1

Speaking of EVRI ; I purchased something small on eBay 2 weeks ago . I ( wrongly ) assumed it would be delivered by Royal Mail.

Unfortunately I didn't do my basic homework and it was indeed sent by EVRI . If I knew that, I would have pyrchased the item from a different seller . 
Why? Well I left instructions to stick the small box into the letterbox. That was too challenging for them ,and I found the item outside the door at about 8.30 pm ! 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I did not leave any feedback . I did not receive any either . Some sellers don't bother leaving any . Fair enough. 

The other thing with EVRI , is that their deliveries are always " between 6pm -10pm" in my experience . 
I do have a Sodastream , and unfortunately they use EVRI also . The slight exception there is that I have had bottles delivered around 4pm.  If that changes in my next order, I will sadly have to cancel and hope that I can get glass bottles of fizzy water from either Waitrose or Ocado . The amount of times I got plastic bottles sent as a substitution forced me into going down the sodastream route.

mini rant over ..

I live down a cul-de-sac with no passing traffic - deliveries often get left somewhere relatively safe, which I don't mind. I may be swimming against the tide, but Evri have been reliable since their rebrand from Herpes, although once things disappear into the maw of Evri it takes some time for them to be regurgitated. The unreliable one has been Royal Mail - their untracked 48 hour service has failed to deliver in a fortnight three times now. I'm currently chasing the third one, the first and second I got a refund and a redelivery for, and in both cases the original items turned up a further week later.