Why become a member? ×

NBD Kay 1972 20b rick copy

la bam

I've seen these, as I'm sure many have, on the Internet for years. I've also seen many opinions about them being complete tat. 

So, one popped up and I snapped it up. It's a 1972. The guy bought it when he was 12 at school and never really used it. One of those purchases that just gets continually moved around the house for years. 

He'd sold his amp 25 years ago, so couldn't be tested, but I was fine with that. 

It looks great, surprisingly light, and short scale, but looks cool!! 

The neck was very nice to be fair, nice size, feel, look and finish. The fret board had age related character and was straight. 

The tuners just seemed to be loose but I'd take a look at them. The bridge looked crazy, but a tidy and a quick investigation meant I could lower it fine. Still highish, maybe truss rod needs adjusting. 

As suspected, the electrics didn't work, so I took it apart. Hammered it with switch cleaner and turned everything a million times. Slightly adjusted the jack and hey presto! It was brought back to life!! 

I've fitted a pair of flats - surprisingly the tuners now feel great under tension - for that authentic early 70s feel. 

It sounds great! Each pick up has volume and tone. And the switch flicks from top - both - bottom for 3 independent sounds. 

These definitely are not tat like some say. I'm really happy, and will happily gig it! 

All in all very happy. Cool looking bass. 52 years old. And brought back to life ready for gigging :)

IMG_20241022_155908.jpg

IMG_20241022_155909.jpg

IMG_20241022_160841.jpg

IMG_20241022_162905.jpg

IMG_20241022_155903.jpg

IMG_20241022_155921.jpg

Edited by la bam
  • Like 9

14 hours ago, meterman said:

Colin Moulding from XTC used one in the video for "The Mayor Of Simpleton" 

And yes, I'd have one if I could find one 😎 Tat is my bag, baby!

Yes - I think it belonged to Andy Partridge.

Jimmy Bain also used one in Dio.

• Like 1