Why become a member? ×

Been thinking again

fatgoogle

Well hi there again, im still wondering about my tone and were its going you no. Im going to build this new cab of mine, and hopefully that will help alot. But my bass, A fender Jazz 24, hope you know of it, really nice my first proper bass after my squier, cherry sunburst, quilt maple top, you know, i could have bought it on looks. But again, i either bypass the active eq, or leave it pretty much flat and just use the blend knob. Hope you get me i feel im not using it, and could be doing something else and easier to get my tone.
So Ive been thinking for the price i bought it for here, with a case, i could sell it for around 700 euro, and its in amazing condition, excellent neck you know. And for that price second hand i could easily snag a second hand American jazz bass of eBay or a nice bass of here if their willing to post to Ireland(Lakland 55-02, Warwick streamer guys, hint hint)

So i want your advise on weather i should stick with it, battle it and see what happens, or should get something different. With an American jazz if it came to it i could always put a preamp in it, john east or similar.

So what do you guys and gals think i should do? The main problem if i do sell it is my mum, it took alot of convincing to let me buy this bass, even with my money, and selling it or trading it on over a year later, might not float her boat. I suppose i wouldnt come out of this with a huge loss.

Thanks
Sam H

is this even in the right forum

The basic rule of thumb,is that Fender should cater for all playing styles .
What amp do you use? Have you fiddled with the tone etc.?

I would've thought that if you have a choice of active/passive settings

on your bass you should decide if active is for you or not. (many basses are active only so it's nice if you have both settings)

Also, what kinda stuff are you playing? You may want to have a pedal,or a sansamp DI box to
get the sound you're after.........

Ive got an ashdown Mag 600R, bein having alot of fun with it, and its great.

I play a huge amount of rock and funk and rap which are the main ones. Im currently in a band thats quite heavy rock with rapping think POD, Rage against the machine(were doing covers) etc and have been moving a bit into more dancy stuff.

Tones i really love are ones like Runaway by Jamiraquai and Timmy C's tone. I also love JPJ and the fellas tone from alien ant farm. Theres a mix of passive and active there i know.

At home i play alot more solo stuff you could say, alot af classical music, Bach, handel(im wierd for 16) and other ones.

I suppose what i might be saying(denial) is im bored of the jazz to an extent.

Edited by fatgoogle

My observation would be that you are either bored or not inspired by your bass.

If you are talking about adding a different preamp to any other bass that you might buy then why don't you just change the preamp in your Jazz 24?

There are lots of basses for sale on the forum and at the right price you'd sell your bass to buy something else... my gut feeling; you don't like your current bass so get rid of it and get something else!