Why become a member? ×

Stingray5 wierd startup problem

Ok, O Forum of infinite knowledge!

I played with my SR5 on saturday, and it was fine, but the past few days it's decided to go all funny at me.

Whenever I plug in, it either doesn't have any output, or it takes a few seconds to start makin noise...if i pluck a string before plugging in, the note fades up to full volume over the space of about 10 seconds, as if i were dialling the volume in with a pedal/pot.

It's got a brand new battery, i can't see any loose connections, and it's NEVER done this before...any clues?

tried a different battery, still the same :)

[quote name='josh3184' post='509822' date='Jun 10 2009, 03:45 AM']and its definitely not the amp warming up?[/quote]

nope, the amp's on constantly throughout and I've got the same result with my Bassic Bits circuit-breaker cable and my Planet Waves cable...still have no clue! lol!

[quote name='gafbass02' post='509850' date='Jun 10 2009, 08:13 AM']I thought all rays did that tbh, I just assumed it was a safety feature to prevent sending plugging in pops to the amp. Both rays I've had so far did it.[/quote]

now THAT is both reassuring and worrying! Perhaps it's a quirk of the preamp going ever-so-slightly dodgy? Neither of mine have ever done it, and only one's doing it now...thanks for the idea, mayhaps an email to EBMM customer service is req'd!

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='510366' date='Jun 10 2009, 04:44 PM'].... mayhaps an email to EBMM customer service is req'd![/quote]

Just make sure you kiss bottom in your email and don't suggest for a moment that this might be.... God forbid ... a fault !!

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='510603' date='Jun 10 2009, 08:18 PM']lol! yeah, i've made that mistake before![/quote]

hmmm...speaks volumes about perceived SBMM customer care...

sounds an issue with the tone circuitry to me... maybe a component is on it ways out.

Take it to a local grt rep guy...who can measure these things and KNOWs what he is doing. A circuit diagram may help him as well but as I recall, there isn't a lot in the loop...

[quote name='JTUK' post='511790' date='Jun 12 2009, 06:46 AM']hmmm...speaks volumes about perceived SBMM customer care...

sounds an issue with the tone circuitry to me... maybe a component is on it ways out.

Take it to a local grt rep guy...[i][b]who can measure these things and KNOWs what he is doing[/b][/i]. A circuit diagram may help him as well but as I recall, there isn't a lot in the loop...[/quote]

Thats where my local area seems to fail... I don't know anyone with that kinda in-depth knowledge! I'll await a reply from EBMM, and see if I can hunt down a decent tech :)

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='512260' date='Jun 12 2009, 04:20 PM']Thats where my local area seems to fail... I don't know anyone with that kinda in-depth knowledge! I'll await a reply from EBMM, and see if I can hunt down a decent tech :)[/quote]

It should be easy to post as it will be small enough.

Try and find a tech who will take it on, who is recommended to you. This site sounds a good place to start in that regard...and then once you have talked to them on the phone, get an idea if you both think the work can be resolved.

Failing that..how much for a complete new circuit... might work out cheaper and quicker in the long run....

• 2 weeks later...