Why become a member? ×

Chunk Systems pedals - buyers beware

Gunsfreddy2003

Guys,

Tried the pedals at a rehearsal last night and in line they sound ok but nowhere near as good as they do on the Chunk website where they are hooked up using the Envelope input. When the Y cable gets here from OBBM I can set it up properly and should all work fine!

One thing though the Brown Dog seems to be a really "hot" pedal and boosts the signal dramatically which is not so good. Anyone got one of these and can advise how I can reduce the output or alternatively apart from a volume pedal anyone else got any ideas how I can keep the levels at a set volume.

I have never had this problem with the EBS pedals they just give you the effect but with no signal boost. :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='511372' date='Jun 11 2009, 04:24 PM']I really liked my putting my bass balls into my big muff. Also, wah before distortion is the same thing, and that's pretty standard. I really like it the other way round too, but as this guy has the IQ and the Agent 00 he may aswell have both options.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='511831' date='Jun 12 2009, 08:48 AM']Tried the pedals at a rehearsal last night and in line they sound ok but nowhere near as good as they do on the Chunk website where they are hooked up using the Envelope input. When the Y cable gets here from OBBM I can set it up properly and should all work fine![/quote]

Play with the mids more. I found that that had a huge influence when I had my Chunk pedals.

[quote]One thing though the Brown Dog seems to be a really "hot" pedal and boosts the signal dramatically which is not so good. Anyone got one of these and can advise how I can reduce the output or alternatively apart from a volume pedal anyone else got any ideas how I can keep the levels at a set volume.[/quote]

Get a volume box off ebay. They are normally sold as things that you put in the effects loops of specifically Fender Hotrod amps.

[quote]I have never had this problem with the EBS pedals they just give you the effect but with no signal boost. :)[/quote]

That's because Matts knows his sh1t and makes pedals that work. :rolleyes:

Man, this seems a hell of a lot of heartache for two pedals...

It certainly is a lot of grief for 2 pedals but the sound out of them is exactly what I want!

Does make the EBS offerings and TBF most other pedals seem a lot more straight forward.

I have just searched for a volume box on the Bay and it does not bring up anything similar - can you give me some more info?

Mark

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='511984' date='Jun 12 2009, 11:46 AM']Play with the mids more. I found that that had a huge influence when I had my Chunk pedals.

Get a volume box off ebay. They are normally sold as things that you put in the effects loops of specifically Fender Hotrod amps.

That's because Matts knows his sh1t and makes pedals that work. :)

Man, this seems a hell of a lot of heartache for two pedals...[/quote]

If you just want a stompboxto reduce volume, check this out:

[url="http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/signal-pad-427-p.asp"]http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/signal-pad-427-p.asp[/url]

Seems overkill though, can you not get the pedals to output unity gain by adjusting the volume knobs? Otherwise contact Chunk, there might be some internal trimpots you can adjust. I've not heard of this issue with these peedals before!

Sadly not quite that easy!

If you look at the sound examples in the following link you can see from the illustrations that the level knobs just affect how much fuzz you hear in the sound and not the overall output volume.

[url="http://www.chunksystems.com/a00f2.htm"]http://www.chunksystems.com/a00f2.htm[/url]

[quote name='Finbar' post='512474' date='Jun 12 2009, 09:45 PM']Surely if you just lower the dirty level and the clean level both, the overall volume will go down?[/quote]

Sorry, I forgot the levels were controlled for Clean and Fuzz. You just have to work with all 3 knobs (clean level/fuzz level/gain) to get the amount of Fuzz and volume you want.

Ie Turn the blends up to account for more gain, and keep the gain lower than you would want to keep the volume down - Does that make sense?

But there is no gain knob on the Brown Dog!

[quote name='Higgie' post='512712' date='Jun 13 2009, 11:53 AM']Sorry, I forgot the levels were controlled for Clean and Fuzz. You just have to work with all 3 knobs (clean level/fuzz level/gain) to get the amount of Fuzz and volume you want.

Ie Turn the blends up to account for more gain, and keep the gain lower than you would want to keep the volume down - Does that make sense?[/quote]