Why become a member? ×

Impedance + The Compact

Eight

Sorry to ask this - because I know somewhere the information I need already exists... but I couldn't find/understand it.

The Compact is an 8ohm cab right? If I buy a 300W amp with a minimum impedance of 4ohm - does that mean I have to have two Compacts (taking the impedance to 4ohm)? Or does it mean I can't use two 4ohm cabs (which would give 2ohm)?

i.e.
Is 8ohm higher than the 4ohm minimum, or is it lower?

Cheers.

Edited by Eight

You're right in that 2 Compacts will be a 4 ohm load for the amp.
The amp's minimum of 4 ohms is regardless of whether it's 1 or 2 cabs that present that load.
E.g. an Ampeg 8x10 cab is 4 ohm, so that's it for the amp or as you have pointed out you can use a pair of 8 ohm cabs.

Hope that helps?

Also a quick note on the Barefaced Compact cabs - They only have one socket on them so your amp will need 2 speaker output sockets, unless Alex offers a 2 speakon option to daisy chain the cabinets (?)

Cheers,
JTB

[quote name='Eight' post='514129' date='Jun 15 2009, 01:17 PM']Sorry to ask this - because I know somewhere the information I need already exists... but I couldn't find/understand it.

The Compact is an 8ohm cab right? If I buy a 300W amp with a minimum impedance of 4ohm - does that mean I have to have two Compacts (taking the impedance to 4ohm)? Or does it mean I can't use two 4ohm cabs (which would give 2ohm)?

i.e.
Is 8ohm higher than the 4ohm minimum, or is it lower?

Cheers.[/quote]

[quote name='jonthebass' post='514189' date='Jun 15 2009, 02:04 PM']Also a quick note on the Barefaced Compact cabs - They only have one socket on them so your amp will need 2 speaker output sockets, unless Alex offers a 2 speakon option to daisy chain the cabinets (?)[/quote]

You can have another Speakon if you ask nicely and pay £5 more. :) But no-one so far has needed one so minimalism seems the best route for the standard model!

Most (in fact all bar Jon so far) are using a single Compact with an amp that is stable down to 4 or 2 ohms. The high sensitivity means you don't need to suck every last watt out of your amp even if you're in a seriously loud band and an 8 ohm load is easier on your amp so it'll run cooler.

Alex

Hi Alex - sorry to hijack this thread slightly - will hopefully be getting some pics up tonight of said stack!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='514207' date='Jun 15 2009, 02:14 PM']You can have another Speakon if you ask nicely and pay £5 more. :) But no-one so far has needed one so minimalism seems the best route for the standard model!

Most (in fact all bar Jon so far) are using a single Compact with an amp that is stable down to 4 or 2 ohms. The high sensitivity means you don't need to suck every last watt out of your amp even if you're in a seriously loud band and an 8 ohm load is easier on your amp so it'll run cooler.

Alex[/quote]

[quote name='jonthebass' post='514211' date='Jun 15 2009, 02:18 PM']Hi Alex - sorry to hijack this thread slightly - will hopefully be getting some pics up tonight of said stack![/quote]

I'm hoping you don't need another Speakon on yours as you raised that issue! Something else to add to the website...

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='514232' date='Jun 15 2009, 02:32 PM']I'm hoping you don't need another Speakon on yours as you raised that issue! Something else to add to the website...

Alex[/quote]

No no, I'm fine with the Boogie but I've been looking at some lightweight amps and realised this.
It seems some amps don't have 2 separate Speaker/Speakon outputs.

Jon

If you're using a lightweight amp would you want to bother with both cabs? You can certainly use a jack-speakon lead, nothing wrong with that, I just prefer speakons on the cab end because that's the live end of the lead. It could prove a little too exciting if you grab a 1/4" plug whose other end is connected to any of these micro-amps which use dual bridged power amps internally (so even the -ve 'ground' side is live).

Alex