Why become a member? ×

I've Had An Idea! (for us "Gig-Virgins")

Hot Tub

I was an incredibly shy 'loner' when I first picked up bass in my teens. Though at the time I was keen to face my fears and put myself forward for as many activities which put me outside my comfort zone as possible. In a moment of madness I signed up the my school Public Speaking team and ended up having to give speaches in front of my school (complete with red face, extreme sweatiness and stuttering!). My first gigs were also extremely painful but the adrenaline rush was as addictive as it gets. I would stand there rigid with my eyes transfixed on the fretboard in the panic that I might play a wrong note or catch sight of the audience and forget how to play.

I've also been fortunate in my work as I've been an IT Trainer and had to stand at the front of a classroom full of both work colleagues and strangers in the UK and India. They usually start with me being incredibly tense and nervous for the first 10 minutes before I manage to calm down and relax!

I've found that you have to be realistic and really ask yourself "What's the worst that can really happen?". As long as you've prepared yourself by learning the songs then you'll actually find that your audience is actually very sympathetic. Generally there will be people out there in the audience who will give their hind teeth to be in your position and will have great respect for you regardless of any mistakes you make.

I say go for it and jump in with both feet, facing your fears head on to proove that they are unfounded. If you're going to meet up with other "gig-virgins" then rather than share each others fear of playing in from of crowds you would be better off meeting at open mic or jam nights and talking to the performers to find inspiration to get up and play (plus the opporunity will be there right then to start playing).

WOW! I mean, seriously, WOW! I am totally overwhelmed with the responses to this. You people are truly amazing, and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

A few have asked "what's the worst that can happen?", and I have thought about that. A lot. I think the worst that could happen is not that I make a mistake, or stick to roots, or "forget which end to blow into" (I spat tea when I read that one! :lol: ), or even just freeze and do nothing. I think the worst that could happen is that I disappoint myself. It's something I've wanted to do since I first picked up a bass, but what if I can't? What if I pluck up the courage and "Just Do It", and find out when it's too late that I just can't? These are rhetorical questions, I'm not looking for answers from anyone other than myself.

If I can misquote Dennis Healey here: I'd rather people asked me "Why are you not up there playing bass?", rather than "Why are you up there playing bass?".

That's maybe an easy get-out. OK, I'll admit it; that's an easy get out.

I need to have a serious think about this. But thank-you to everyone - honestly, Thank-You all - for posting on this subject. Those of you who have taken the time to share your own experiences and offer advice are absolutely brilliant. :)

Oh, and regarding going to a Bass Bash - I did go to one a while back. Outskirts of Northampton, IIRC? While I enjoyed looking at all the amazing instruments and gear, I felt very intimidated and completely out of my depth. But that's just me. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='524994' date='Jun 26 2009, 04:44 PM']A few have asked "what's the worst that can happen?", and I have thought about that. A lot. I think the worst that could happen is not that I make a mistake, or stick to roots, or "forget which end to blow into" (I spat tea when I read that one! :) ), or even just freeze and do nothing. I think the worst that could happen is that I disappoint myself.[/quote]

I've done all of these things and worse at one time or another. I completely forgot "Pretty Vacant" the other week. Sh*t happens. It's not that it happens it's how badly you take it. I am terribly self critical... but in the cold light of the next day nobody ever noticed.

Ah you are making the classic mistake of thinking anyone will even notice if you make a mistake (other than you band mates but you can control them)
Unless you make a huge bloomer such as starting something verry loudly in C rather than G (guilty!) then they really won't and anyway, it's only rock and roll...

If you were the lead singer or guitarist or even the drummer you'd be much more exposed than we are bumbling along undeneath it all at the back. That's whay some of us do it. It's a classic joke about being able to gig two weeks after getting our first bass but there's some truth in it :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='525235' date='Jun 26 2009, 07:48 PM']Ah you are making the classic mistake of thinking anyone will even notice if you make a mistake (other than you band mates but you can control them)[/quote]

+1 The audience is almost incapable of hearing anything but the largest error in bass.

[quote name='OldGit' post='525235' date='Jun 26 2009, 07:48 PM']Unless you make a huge bloomer such as starting something verry loudly in C rather than G (guilty!) then they really won't and anyway, it's only rock and roll...[/quote]

Me too :rolleyes: Its was a blues as well, and they started on the 4 and I went for the one, and stubbornly stuck to the wrong chord all the way through - my excuse was I thought the inversions sounded cooler :) :lol:

[quote name='OldGit' post='525235' date='Jun 26 2009, 07:48 PM']If you were the lead singer or guitarist or even the drummer you'd be much more exposed than we are bumbling along undeneath it all at the back. That's whay some of us do it. It's a classic joke about being able to gig two weeks after getting our first bass but there's some truth in it :D[/quote]

+1 to this too, if you dont want to be heard, you can scoop some mid out and most of the top, you'll be felt more than heard and that will be a nice additional safety net...

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='524994' date='Jun 26 2009, 04:44 PM']Oh, and regarding going to a Bass Bash - I did go to one a while back. Outskirts of Northampton, IIRC? While I enjoyed looking at all the amazing instruments and gear, I felt very intimidated and completely out of my depth. But that's just me. :)[/quote]
I went to that one too. I've been playing in bands for 35 years and I felt intimidated and out of my depth... :rolleyes:

There are two hurdles to overcome. The first is getting up for the first time. The second is getting up for the second time. The first time you get up, you will almost inevitably make mistakes or not play as well as you would like. If you play perfectly, getting up for the second time won;t be a problem - if you don't, as long as you know you can play better, you must make the effort to do it again.

Mrs Zero made her first steps in public performance, singing, about four years ago. I knew she could sing, and we did three John Denver numbers at an open mic night and TBH she really didn't sing very well at all. I knew she was better than that first performance showed, so I got her back on stage at the next one and as she got to enjoy doing it more and more, her performance improved correspondingly.

That same open mic night has nurtured quite a few new performers over the years. A supportive atmosphere is a great help.