Why become a member? ×

new or 2nd hand?

Jobiebass

Most of my basses have been acquired through trades, I think it's a much more efficient and a cheaper way of getting stuff. I've paid out literally nothing since I bought an Ibanez Musician MC900 for £250, since then i've had a Musicman Stingray, Lakland 55-02 and now the Corvette. All have these have been from trades from that original Ibanez.

That said - if [i]no-one[/i] buys a new bass, there will be llittle supply for those looking in the 2nd hand market.

I think you're getting the answer you're looking for...most people think that getting the 2nd hand version and saving the money is a best bet, whereas buying new you're guaranteed an immediate loss as soon as you get it outta the box. :)

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='530165' date='Jul 2 2009, 01:00 AM']But then why is it being sold? someone has vetted it and rejected it![/quote]

personal preference...one man's dogsh!t is another mans Diamond! Whereas I'd reject an original mint cond'n early P with OHSC and candy (cos I just don't dig P's!) someone else would rip off their own right arm to beat me to death for it!

Also, the Grass is Greener syndrome comes into play often :rolleyes:

I prefer used basses, there's not exactly a lot to go wrong with a bass assuming the neck hasn't gone weird in its first few years of life. And, as wood is rarely dried as much as would be ideal, basses to tend to sound more lively and resonant after a few more years of life, especially those with more breathable finishes.

Alex

I'm a tad paranoid when it comes to buying basses - especially expensive (over £200 :brow:) basses - and gear. I mean, it kinda feels better going into GAK and trying out stuff, and then handing over cash to guys who you know arn't going to screw you over. it's paranoia! Effects I'm a bit better on - I'd happily buy a £150 effect from someone on here as long as i've either heard extensive reviews and sound clips of it and/or tried out the effect for myself.

Edited by iamapirate