Why become a member? ×

Out of Phase pickups

Tait

i've come to the conclusion that the pickups on my "taitycaster" are out of phase with each other, because with only one pickup at a time, they sound great, but with both pickups, it sounds thin and quiet. problem is, i don't know if its supposed to sound like that, as i've neve heard any other P/MM basses, so is there any way to tell from the wiring if they're right? i know very little about electronics tbh, so you're going to have to explain it simply to me :)

the pickups are seymour duncan quarter pounder precision pickup at the neck, and seymour duncan cermain MM pickup at the bridge, with a seymour duncan 2 band EQ, modded to have a 3 way switch rather than a blend pot.

the wiring of the pickups was done by me with jon shuker telling me what to do, and the modding of the active circuit was done by jon himself, so i can't really imagine there being a problem. but i've heard people describe out of phase pickups, and thats pretty much what my taitycaster is like - good sounds on either pickup, but together they are thin, quiet and trebly sounding.

so really, what i'm asking is -

how can you tell other than by sound if pickups are out of phase?
how easy is it to change the wiring so theyre in phase?
and can someone please explain to me how to wire them so theyre in phase? or will it be worth just taking it to a shop to get it done?

'Eyup,
Unusual for Seymours to do this if you've used their wiring diagrams correctly, but nothing's impossible!
You could wire a switch in to alter the phase of one of the pickups (I did that yonks back in an experimental time), that way you could drop to the thinner sound if you want it. Does it sound sort of 'scooped out'? that's the classic out of phase tone.
If in doubt, consult a local repairer who does wiring.. should be just a case of reversing the hot and ground wires of one pickup. It may make the bass a little more noisy, but often barely so.

Yes, that's the way to change the phase of two pickups - swap the hot and ground wires arounc on ONE of the pickups (leaving the other on as is).

In practical terms that means tracing the two wires from ONE of the pickups. If they are black and white then unsolder them then solder the white one where the black one was and the black one where the white one was. That's all there is to it, and it's just as easy to revert back if it doesn't fix the problem.