Why become a member? ×

Hauling My Own Rig Always Now

cytania

I am now resolved that no matter what I'm going to take my SWR amp and BFB cab to all rehearsals from now on. I know studios provide a bass setup but some are so manky! Last night I was only able to get a sound by taking out the batteries on my bass and setting the dratted Trace's input-stage almost to zero. I spent most of my time overplaying to compensate and inject some zing into the dead/distorted sound and still couldn't be heard... Of course the guitars didn't notice much was wrong but our drummer knew things sucked. Should have got it switched but that room's regular bass amp was being repaired, so this was clearly the studio's stand-in dog :-(

I used to think studio amps were an education, you can see alot of past makes and models. However even when the bass amp is decent it can take plenty of time getting used to the controls, working out which are mute switches the previous band helpfully left on etc. So now even if they have some all tube wonder lined up I'm going ignore it and roll my own...

Edited by cytania

[quote name='cytania' post='536414' date='Jul 9 2009, 01:21 PM']I am now resolved that no matter what I'm going to take my SWR amp and BFB cab to all rehearsals from now on. I know studios provide a bass setup but some are so manky! Last night I was only able to get a sound by taking out the batteries on my bass and setting the dratted Trace's input-stage almost to zero. I spent most of my time overplaying to compensate and inject some zing into the dead/distorted sound and still couldn't be heard... Of course the guitars didn't notice much was wrong but our drummer knew things sucked. Should have got it switched but that room's regular bass amp was being repaired, so this was clearly the studio's stand-in dog :-(

I used to think studio amps were an education, you can see alot of past makes and models. However even when the bass amp is decent it can take plenty of time getting used to the controls, working out which are mute switches the previous band helpfully left on etc. So now even if they have some all tube wonder lined up I'm going ignore it and roll my own...[/quote]

That doesn't sound right at all, to me. Unless the amp had a fault. Were you going direct to the amp with a single cable? No boxes in between? What bass? Were the speakers fukt?

Why don't you arrange with your band to have different types of rehearsal?
Learning, writing and working out rehearsals where you play relatively quietly and it doesn't really matter what you sound like; settings and effects rehearsals where everyone can sort out their sounds, fx, patches, and then performance rehearsals where you play as if you are doing a gig.
Then you 'd only need to haul rig for the fx and performance rehearsals.

>Unless the amp had a fault< Most likely.

> Were you going direct to the amp with a single cable? No boxes in between?< Yep, I live a pedal free life, changed to my spare batteries, used the spare cable too...

>Were the speakers fukt?< Possibly, although my guess would be input-stage of amp or interconnect cable.

>play relatively quietly<

Nope, not getting you there... strange concept... ;-)