Why become a member? ×

Any jazz bass owners, I ned your help!

jmanfunk

Alright guys,

I'm having a custom bass made for me by ACG guitars. It's going to be a single pick-up bass and I want to position the pick-up so when I split the coil, the rear coil that is active is in the 60's jazz position.

So I need measurements for the pup placement and if someone could be so kind as to measure the distance from the twelfth fret to the edge of the back of the pick-up, I 'd be eternally grateful! :)

This is for those jazz bass with a 60's pick-up position obviously. As far as I know the current U.S. series and any 60's reissue as well as Lakland would be perfect. I'm not sure where Sadowsky or some of the other well known manufacturers place their pups.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jay

[quote name='Geek99' post='540194' date='Jul 14 2009, 11:51 AM']Will confirm from my 62 ri jap jazz tonight[/quote]

i got a bass routed for jazz pups

1 3/4" from g string saddle to centre of poles for the bridge pup

and then spaced at 3 3/4" to the centre of poles for the neck one..which you wont have

sounds like you plan to have a musicman or humbucker type pup on your bass

the P bass pup position is scale over 6 (= 34/6 = 5 2/3) to the mating faces of the split coil just for interest
when the jazz was designed it had the neck pup just a little bit nearer the bridge to the centre line of the poles

set your dimensions to pole positions...thats where the nodes occur...not at the edges of surrounds etc