Why become a member? ×

Mike Dirnt P

BarnacleBob

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='554441' date='Jul 28 2009, 09:13 PM']I never understood the star thing.[/quote]

i think i read somewhere that when fender first made the mike dirnt precision every signature bass had the players name/signature on it somewhere. mike dirnt didn't want this, but he had a tattoo of a star somewhere (i think on his wrist) so they used that instead. eventually they got rid of it (i think its still the only signature bass without the name/signature of the player anywhere on the bass), but mike dirnt still has it on most of the ones he plays. so i guess they just decided to bring it back in on the squiers.

btw what i just said may all be complete nonsense, but i think i read it somewhere.

[quote name='mrjim' post='554459' date='Jul 28 2009, 09:36 PM']Well...the scratchplate has since been returned to white. I must have been lucky with the paint stripper cos it did'nt tarnish the finish of the plastic (The painbrsh wasnt as lucky however). Managed to get the rest off the edges by shaving off with a stanley knife. I dont understand the star either... its currently covered witha sticker more suiting my tastes. It is a cracking bass, especially with the upgrades:

[attachment=29832:Picture1.jpg]

I'll need to get a proper outdoors photo like most folk seem to have[/quote]
was the black finish poorly applied? i though it looked brilliant with it black, but of course i havnt seen it in the flesh...

[quote name='Tait' post='554481' date='Jul 28 2009, 10:02 PM']i think i read somewhere that when fender first made the mike dirnt precision every signature bass had the players name/signature on it somewhere. mike dirnt didn't want this, but he had a tattoo of a star somewhere (i think on his wrist) so they used that instead. eventually they got rid of it (i think its still the only signature bass without the name/signature of the player anywhere on the bass), but mike dirnt still has it on most of the ones he plays. so i guess they just decided to bring it back in on the squiers.

btw what i just said may all be complete nonsense, but i think i read it somewhere.[/quote]

I had one of the first Mike Dirnts, it didn't have the signature or the star. Was a great bass, but very heavy (the Squiers are lighter), and not as well made as it should have been, a few gaps in the fretwork and the pickup was loose.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='555688' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:40 PM']Aye MrJim, you made a good job of it. Did it perform ok on sat? Spoke to my mate who changed the pickup and he suggests that you check the wiring at some point as his soldering aint the best!

Jez[/quote]

yeah i'm really pleased with it. The wiring hasnt caused any problems so you can tell you mate he done a fine job with the wring.

There was one or two very small flakes of paint that were coming off. I thought it looked a wee bit too black with the body/pickguard/pickup all black. Maybe even seeing the polepieces on the pickup would have been enought to break it up. I like black/wite contrast.