Why become a member? ×

Another Pot question....

Mr.T

I know the whole pot thing has probably been done to death, but hey.....

The next stage of my custom Jazz (re)build is the electrics, I think the current plate is loaded with 'no name' 500k pots.
I have fitted a pair of Wizard 84's and want to fit the best pots and cap that I can, to get the full potential out of the p/ups.

Should I swap over to 250k pots?
.... and what cap?

[quote name='Mr.T' post='546097' date='Jul 21 2009, 10:27 AM']I know the whole pot thing has probably been done to death, but hey.....

The next stage of my custom Jazz (re)build is the electrics, I think the current plate is loaded with 'no name' 500k pots.
I have fitted a pair of Wizard 84's and want to fit the best pots and cap that I can, to get the full potential out of the p/ups.

Should I swap over to 250k pots?
.... and what cap?[/quote]

fender jazz use 250k but some people use the 500k for better highs
i use my bass on full vol and like nickel string sound so 250 doesnt rob me of anything i dont want anyway
so a good quality 250 with 0.047 cap is the norm for the jazz and P etc passive pups
i dont use tone control on the bass..passive..so a cap is a moot point
hope this is of some help
geof

Edited by mrcrow

[quote name='mrcrow' post='546162' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:03 AM']fender jazz use 250k but some people use the 500k for better highs
i use my bass on full vol and like nickel string sound so 250 doesnt rob me of anything i dont want anyway
so a good quality 250 with 0.047 cap is the norm for the jazz and P etc passive pups
i dont use tone control on the bass..passive..so a cap is a moot point
hope this is of some help
geof[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.

So...
A 250 pot will cut some highs.
The cap only comes into play when the tone is rolled off.... (which I don't do either).

[quote name='Mr.T' post='546201' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:27 AM']Thanks for the reply.

So...
A 250 pot will cut some highs.
The cap only comes into play when the tone is rolled off.... (which I don't do either).[/quote]

hi Mt T
regarding the 250/500 pot thing...i havent used 500 myself and found 250...as fitted standard usually is adequate
my ears arent that good to notice the difference, but others seem to think 500 is necessary on bass..i dont
i run full vol..no cut..if its passive bass and still get enough..sometimes to much sizzle and clank top end
i play down low mostly...well under the octave...so upper highs arent really an area i am familiar with

you wont be wrong with 250 and i think you will get your standard jazz honk with them

leave the cap off if you think you really dont need it...i think there may be a case that the cap can bleed highs as well

some pro bass players have even dispensed with the vol and just either connected straight to the jack or fitted an on off switch
if you are close to your head/combo preamp you can do changes there...

Speak to Andy at Wizard. I did when fitting a Wizard Thumper to a P-Bass. Told him what sound i was looking for and he came up with the right Pot/Cap solution.
then make sure you use good quality components, (CTS/Sprague).

[quote name='BassBunny' post='546578' date='Jul 21 2009, 03:20 PM']Speak to Andy at Wizard. I did when fitting a Wizard Thumper to a P-Bass. Told him what sound i was looking for and he came up with the right Pot/Cap solution.
then make sure you use good quality components, (CTS/Sprague).[/quote]

For anyone interested....

Andy also suggested 250k pots with a 47 cap.