Why become a member? ×

SWAP - Encore P-alike

john_the_bass

The driver in my cab is knackered and Ashdown aren't playing ball - despite the fact that it's rated to 250w and the amp I had plugged in was running at half volume at around half power (ie at 8 ohms), it gave up and I need to replace the speaker.

So I am looking for a 15" driver rated up to about 300w OR a cab that I can either use, or remove the speaker and put into my Ashdown cab.

But this is a wanted ad you say! Well for swaps, I have an Encore Precision type bass. It's a good few years old and is red. And in good condition - I don't use it and I need a working amp again, so PMs if you are interested. It doesn't come with a bag or case so a face to face meet is probably preferable.

JA

Well not to stray to far OT, I rang them up and basically said, look chaps, this cab has hardly been used - OK, I've had it for 3 years but it's had less than 100 hours of being used at a much lower power than is rated. Without asking them outright if they would give me a new speaker because I feel it failed under conditions where it wasn't pushed and shouldn't, IMO, have failed if there was nothing wrong with it, I asked them what my replacement options were.

I got a vague response that the speakers were out of stock and weren't going to be coming in for a while and that was it. Bit annoyed to be honest - I suppose they're not obliged to help me out, but I was surprised at the lack of interest.

Oh, and that phonecall was 14 days after I sent them an email about the problem to which I received no response.

Edited by john_the_bass

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='559022' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:26 AM']Sent Ashdown an email, still waiting for a response, so in the meantime I still have this bass available for a swap for a replacement speaker.[/quote]
Do you get a kind of a 'fuzz box' sound when you play through the speaker? I might have the solution.

I can't help then in that case. A completely dead speaker is an open circuit of some kind. I'd check the continuity from the input panel to the speaker and also the lead-out wires that go from the connection lugs to the cone - just in case. If it's not that, the break is in the coil, which is hidden and therefore terminal. You've got a bump though. :)

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='559022' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:26 AM']Sent Ashdown an email, still waiting for a response, so in the meantime I still have this bass available for a swap for a replacement speaker.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Phone them John and speak to Guy 01245441155...Its alright Emailing em! but a phone box is often quicker!...ask Dr Who!