Why become a member? ×

Cleaning gold hardware

I'm currently in the process of stripping and cleaning my Conklin- the previous owner(s) appears to have played with fairly heavy palm muting on the bridge with two results:
1) The gold finish is quite worn (almost totally away in places).
2) The entire bridge assembly is filthy with hand gunk.

Is there any special care that needs to be taken when cleaning gold hardware? I don't want to tarnish it any more than it already is- will the old bath of coke method work here? Thinking about it I'm inclined to believe it will as brass players I know have used it on their instruments.

If I was to take the tuners off, could I do the same with them? Or would the moving parts and plastic rings (Gotoh GB7 style) affect it? They're not quite as grubby but are pretty tarnished.

Shopping list at the moment-
Switch cleaner
Lighter fluid (to clean the fretboard) (purpleheart).
Some lemon oil or something similar, to use on the fretboard
Some coke.

Any ideas/comments?

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='562293' date='Aug 6 2009, 10:45 PM']I'm currently in the process of stripping and cleaning my Conklin- the previous owner(s) appears to have played with fairly heavy palm muting on the bridge with two results:
1) The gold finish is quite worn (almost totally away in places).
2) The entire bridge assembly is filthy with hand gunk.

Is there any special care that needs to be taken when cleaning gold hardware? I don't want to tarnish it any more than it already is- will the old bath of coke method work here? Thinking about it I'm inclined to believe it will as brass players I know have used it on their instruments.

If I was to take the tuners off, could I do the same with them? Or would the moving parts and plastic rings (Gotoh GB7 style) affect it? They're not quite as grubby but are pretty tarnished.

Shopping list at the moment-
Switch cleaner
Lighter fluid (to clean the fretboard) (purpleheart).
Some lemon oil or something similar, to use on the fretboard
Some coke.

Any ideas/comments?[/quote]

A vigorous polish of your gold hardware will bring the chrome underneath out a treat. If it's worn away already then cleaning and polishing will tend to remove more. If you spend a bit of time dismantling the bridge then you can get the worst off with a cloth and a cocktail stick for the difficult to reach parts. Gold shouldn't actually tarnish and so should be cleanable using a soft cloth. Don't put cola anywhere near your hardware - I think the acid in it etches the tarnish off brass (HP sauce works well), but it's not brass you're trying to clean. Try polishing a bit of your gold hardware up carefully using just a soft cloth to begin with, drink the coke to keep you awake for the long hours of cleaning ahead. :)

your gold isnt gold but plating of some sort...you may have to live with the tarnishing or have the stuff reworked to add a gold finish which is expensive

once you get everthing clean...use wash up and a toothbrush and then some meths afterwards..if everything works ok that could be your best scenario
unless you replace them

i use a waterless car cleaner....on my car of course
but its really good on the wheels and takes off dirt really well...and gives a good shine

try it on your metal parts...its in tesco etc and its turtle wax's car cleaner without water... :)
i just said that...

cheers

also T cut will shine but not keep unlaquered brass shiny....you could shine the parts then use a car laquer spray
the T cut
then spray
then T cut
to get the smooth shine back

good luck

[quote name='mrcrow' post='564269' date='Aug 9 2009, 06:29 PM']your gold isnt gold but plating of some sort...you may have to live with the tarnishing or have the stuff reworked to add a gold finish which is expensive

once you get everthing clean...use wash up and a toothbrush and then some meths afterwards..if everything works ok that could be your best scenario
unless you replace them[/quote]

Most gold plating on guitar hardware is actually gold (at least on anything half decent), but always in the form of a very thin flashing over the top of a heavier, tougher chrome plate - hence, if you go at it with an abrasive polish like brasso, you can easily polish right through the gold and bring out the chrome underneath, so +1 on the cleaning tip, meths shouldn't do any harm.

[quote name='henry norton' post='565957' date='Aug 11 2009, 03:06 PM']Most gold plating on guitar hardware is actually gold (at least on anything half decent), but always in the form of a very thin flashing over the top of a heavier, tougher chrome plate - hence, if you go at it with an abrasive polish like brasso, you can easily polish right through the gold and bring out the chrome underneath, so +1 on the cleaning tip, meths shouldn't do any harm.[/quote]
:)

didnt really think gold would be used..and so thin
sta-bright laquered brass is what i thought they might be