Why become a member? ×

My Interview with Michael Vinne

Sibob

If you haven't heard of singer-songwriter Wallis Bird then.......well......I don't blame you, although you may recognise her cover of Depeche Mode's 'Just Can't Get Enough' for a series of Sun newspapers TV adverts. The up-and-coming Irish artist released her fantastic debut album 'Spoons' in September 2007 on Island Records, and is just gearing up for the release of the follow up long-player 'New Boots' on Bird Records/Columbia. She has played shows and festivals all over the world, but has kept busiest in the UK, Ireland & mainland Europe, and is no doubt going to get even busier on the back of the new record.

Wallis has just finished a stint on the road, which is where I caught her at London's Borderline venue. Her German-native Bassist, Mr Michael Vinne, along with his brother Christian Vinne on drums, backing-vocalist Aoife O'Sullivan & multi-instrumentalist Aiden create an incredibly fun and infectious live atmosphere with groove by the bucket load, and coupled with Wallis' often hilarious banter, ensures that no two shows are quite the same!

I decided to approach Michael to see if he would be so kind as to answer some questions via email exclusively for Basschat, he has kindly agreed, but first I would encourage you to check out www.myspace.com/wallisbird to get a vibe :)

Enjoy

[b]- How is your current tour with Wallis going? How are the crowds and any favourite shows so far?[/b]
The touring is going on very well. We have fantastic fans! They sing-a-long, scream, and dance sometimes! Our enthusiasm infects them, their enthusiasm infects us. I enjoy the gigs to the full. The show at Oxegen was great!

[b]- How did you start playing with Wallis?[/b]
Christian and Wallis were in the studio with producer Marcus Wüst in Mannheim/Germany recording the first EP "Branches Untangle" and ended up with a problem, the former bass player left the band right before the recordings. The tracks were nearly finished, only bass was missing. So they called me. Christian knew that I liked that kind of music and that I would fit to their style of playing and I completed the recordings. Both liked what I played on the tracks, so we decided to form a definite band and start playing live.

[b]- Going back to before you joined Wallis' band, how did you start out in music? What led you to the bass guitar?[/b]
I always liked the sound of the bass guitar and the upright while listening to records. In 1992 I wanted to start a band with two friends and both wanted to play electric guitar. We found a real good guitar teacher in our hometown who also gave bass lessons. Until then, I was fiddling around with the acoustic guitar of my cousin. But when we had this idea of forming a band, I was really up for taking the chance to finally get bass lessons, because the bass was always more fascinating to me than the guitar. We finally had one gig at a birthday party playing songs of Blur, Elastica, Sebadoh, Adorable, The Wedding Present and some other shoegaze tunes.

[b]- Can you tell us about what music has influenced your playing, both general artists and other bass players[/b]
My bass teacher opened up my mind by telling me about Weather Report and Mahavishnu Orchestra. So I submerged into this jazzrock universe and I discovered a lot of jazz and fusion music from the 50s to the 90s and of course, Jaco! His bass work was a major influence for some years. Other main influences came from Me'shell Ndegeocello, Matthew Garrison, Gary Willis, Avishai Cohen, Victor Bailey and Pino Palladino, to name a few. I went to a lot of jazz gigs to see all these great musicians and to catch something of their art. Listening to records is nice but I get a huge inspirational buzz when I see and hear good music live!

[b]- Has your brother Christian had an influence on your playing over the years? Do you think there is a benefit to a bass player and drummer being related? Is Wallis your first project playing together?[/b]
The communication between musicians in general is either great or bad. If you have a positive link to a person meaning good non-verbal communication is coming along in an easy way, than you can play together, it just clicks. I got to know the situation in a big-band, where two great players (bass & drums) finding themselves not able to groove together. Also after rehearsing a lot, that sometimes happens.

I played with Christian in a lot of different bands from traditional german folk music to hardcore punk to fusion to hiphop. If you grow up together you know each other well and we found ourselves clicking easy in jams and rehearsals and writing music. And we jammed for years together with other musicians in our rehearsal room in our hometown. So we grew together there in this period of jamming and trying things out we just learned. Christian started playing years before me, so I learned from him as well when we started playing together.

[b]- Wallis is a very rhythmic guitar player and songwriter, does she direct how she wants a song to 'feel', or does that come from yourself and Christian?[/b]
The song she brings up is giving us the direction. She plays the song in a certain style and we play to it. That happens in a smooth, elemental way. We have a great understanding of each others playing. Out of ten songs, seven are arranged quickly. Some song arrangements need more time to develop.

[b]- When Wallis brings a new song to the table, where do you start with writing your bass parts? Or does she have a idea as to what she wants from all the instruments?[/b]
For some songs she has fixed ideas of what she wants me to play, if she has the muse to work with them and bring them to a nearly finished stage.
For other songs she just lets me create my own basslines. I can see it immediately in Wallis or Christians face if a bassline works out!

[b]- You've played Lakland basses for quite a while now, how did you come to play them and what qualities do you look for in an instrument?. You've also been spotted with a green jazz bass, can you tell us about your current gear collection, basses, amps and anything else you care to mention, both Live and Studio.[/b]
I went to a bass shop in southern Germany, they are known for having first class bass guitars in stock like Fodera, Ken Smith, Alembic, Lakland & Sadowsky and I bought a Lakland Skyline bass, cause I needed a second 5-string. I could pick out of a wide range of basses and I could check out all the famous basses. I am interested in great craftmanship in general, so I demand that as well of a bass guitar. And I liked the diversity of sounds you can get from a Lakland. I asked them for an endorsement, when we got bigger tv shows and the Island Deal and they said yes!. They are also not interested in a exclusive endorsement, which makes sense for me, having a partnership with a company.

The green jazz bass is a Lakland Joe Osborn model which I use sometimes live, mostly in the studio. I need for some songs a five string, so the 5-string is my first choice to bring on tour, if I have to fly into Ireland or England. If we're touring in Europe I can easily bring two basses and pick them soundwise.

[b]- I noticed you playing a whistle on the song 'Measuring Cities' at your last London show with Wallis, is this something you've just picked up for the recent tour and album, or do you constantly explore other instruments other than bass?[/b]
I had to pick the whistle up for this song, Wallis and Aidan told me the basics and I practiced it for a little while. I played recorder as a kid, but the tin whistle is slightly different to play :-). Christian and I had to choose between Melodica and the Whistle and, I think, he is a bit traumatised with having to learn the recorder as a kid, so there he was, to quick for me, his eyes filled with fear, screaming for the Melodica.

I play and practise acoustic guitar sometimes. My dream came true with having enough money to buy an old upright! It is sometimes very hard to forge ahead with the double bass but the sound is the best! And I checked out some shakers, That's it.

[b]- Have you had any formal schooling in music, if you have, would you recommend it? If you are mostly self taught, do you have much theory knowledge such as sight-reading etc? In either case, do you think that theory knowledge is important for up-and-coming players?[/b]
You should know the basics in theory and in technique, cause it is just easier to express yourself, advance on your instrument and to communicate with other musicians. And you can hurt your body (muscles, nerves, joints) if your using your powers in the wrong way.

[b]- What are you upto when not on the road or recording with Wallis? Other musical projects or hobbies?[/b]
I play with two friends in an rock band called Naria & The Fly. We managed to find some time to record an album last year and it will be out soon. Writing songs is also something I spend more time with.
I spend my leisure with literature, movies, cooking, and if I get a ticket (always sold out) for the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, going to a concerto and jazz gigs is what I like.

[b]- You've recently moved to London, how are you finding the music scene in the city?[/b]
I lived in London for two years, 2006 to 2008. Then I moved back to Berlin, where I have my base since then. London is very creative, exuberant, stressful, highly competative, exciting, tremendous, !hype!, diversified and 24hours available. You can do whatever you want. And play. Everyone seems to play in a band. And you are welcome in England as a musician, very nice custom officials. They give you a smile down there in Dover! Custom officials in Germany or Switzerland immediately want to arrest you because "every artist is heavily using drugs and is a dealer" and is doing arts, that's not a normal job! ugh!
Naaa, it's not that bad, but your reputation as a musician in society is higher in England than in Germany.

[b]- What musical plans have you got for the future?[/b]
Recording a Vinne Brothers Album.

[b]FIN[/b]

In Michaels email back to me, he asked if I wanted to know anything else, so I'm sure that if anyone else has any questions on the back of these, he'd be more than happy to answer.
Please check out Wallis' upcoming tour dates on her myspace, including V-festival later this month and TWO London shows in sept, the first of which is at Koko with November '09 tour-buddies Rodrigo y Gabriella.

Thanks again to Michael and lets hope we see him on the forums sometime, show some love at www.myspace.com/michaelvinne :rolleyes:

Cheers all
Si