Why become a member? ×

Shep's gear...

pantherairsoft

• 5 weeks later...

All being well... Right place at the right time and all that, I should be adding another EBS Neo cab... A 1x15 to the rig, getting 2ohm goodness out of the fafner. Will keep things updated and get a pic of all the gear if it all comes off...

Just picked up an Auralex Gramma to pop it all on as well...

Just need a 5 fretless now to male all right :)

Fantastic rig mate. Great basses, nice pedal choice, and sweet amp! Can you tell me what the EBS Neo212 is like? I've been eyeing them up and wondering how good they are.

Cheers

Ps. Still got an empty space on that pedalboard :)

Edited by Higgie

Hey dude!

The 212 is fantastic. I was dubious at first having never used 12's before but wow! I doubt I'd ever need a 410 again, it is responsive to as much top end as 10's, and to my ear has a smoother bottom. Plus is slightly smaller and lighter than 410! The Neo range tweeter is fantastic as well...

Very impressed with the sound and the Neo range really are a million miles lighter than they look, and really well made. If you ever near Notts, come give it a blast!

Shep

Edited by pantherairsoft

Well I have to say that is one classy looking setup, you must be so pleased with it. Not far off what I am aiming for setup wise, already have EBS 2x12 but the size and weight of their heads is keeping me at bay. Hoping they will do a small compact head like Markbass/Eden/Euphonic.

How do you find the Overwater with the wenge and maple combination? I had a Warwick which was maply body and wenge neck, I imagine it is quite puncy and growly? I love my Progress but find it quite polite sounding and have been thinking about getting another made with some different woods.

[quote name='NJE' post='757899' date='Feb 26 2010, 09:25 AM']Well I have to say that is one classy looking setup, you must be so pleased with it. Not far off what I am aiming for setup wise, already have EBS 2x12 but the size and weight of their heads is keeping me at bay. Hoping they will do a small compact head like Markbass/Eden/Euphonic.

How do you find the Overwater with the wenge and maple combination? I had a Warwick which was maply body and wenge neck, I imagine it is quite puncy and growly? I love my Progress but find it quite polite sounding and have been thinking about getting another made with some different woods.[/quote]

Yeah, the heads are heavy, but I did the sound is worth it. I was a MarkBass user before, and it was a tough call to go for a heavier head but I dint regret it at all.

The Evolution sounds amazing, the best low B I have ever heard, and I'll stand by that. Has some serious low end punch. Fanastic for a rock sound. Only set back is that it weighs a ton! When you compare it to most other basses it's a serious back breaker... Due to the huge amount of Wenge involved...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='757828' date='Feb 26 2010, 06:59 AM']Hey dude!

The 212 is fantastic. I was dubious at first having never used 12's before but wow! I doubt I'd ever need a 410 again, it is responsive to as much top end as 10's, and to my ear has a smoother bottom. Plus is slightly smaller and lighter than 410! The Neo range tweeter is fantastic as well...

Very impressed with the sound and the Neo range really are a million miles lighter than they look, and really well made. If you ever near Notts, come give it a blast!

Shep[/quote]

Wicked cheers for the info mate! Looks like an awesome sounding setup!!

James

[quote]Ps. Still got an empty space on that pedalboard :rolleyes:[/quote]

I know and it's bugging me. My options at the mo, for a solution I
will actually use...

1. Take the tuner off and try and fit what's left on a smaller board, maybe PedalTrain JNR (if it will fit), and get a rack tuner. I can prob live without the Octave as well as it's fun but doesn't get used much.

2. Get an envelope filter with a long very deep sweep as the DiscumBOBulator only does a soft sweep. Kinda miss my old DOD fx25b and it's monsterous sweep.

3. Get something else no bigger than a Boss pedal that I don't really need but can pick up for a bargain price and try to find a use for it, maybe a trem? :)

Shep

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='759401' date='Feb 27 2010, 08:30 PM']I know and it's bugging me. My options at the mo, for a solution I
will actually use...

1. Take the tuner off and try and fit what's left on a smaller board, maybe PedalTrain JNR (if it will fit), and get a rack tuner. I can prob live without the Octave as well as it's fun but doesn't get used much.

2. Get an envelope filter with a long very deep sweep as the DiscumBOBulator only does a soft sweep. Kinda miss my old DOD fx25b and it's monsterous sweep.

3. Get something else no bigger than a Boss pedal that I don't really need but can pick up for a bargain price and try to find a use for it, maybe a trem? :)

Shep[/quote]

A few ideas I have to fill the gap:

1. A compressor after your Filter (to flatten out peaks). You could carry on the EBS theme with the Multicomp or go for something else.

2. 2nd Delay...maybe another DD-3? Very cool sounds to be had from 2 delays.

3. Clean booster at the end of your chain to drive your Fafner.

4. Another dirt pedal, maybe an overdrive/distortion that stacks well before/after the Blowtorch.

5. Reverb? Acquired taste on bass...

6. Harmoniser, something like a PS-3/PS-5 could be cool depending on what kind of music you're playing; especially for 5th up, 4th down or Oct up.

That's all the ideas I've got :rolleyes: Failing all those...maybe just tag a DI box on the end?

Cheers dude...

1. The compressor on the Fafner is perfect for my uses...

2. Something I have thought about a fair bit and a serious possibility!

3. Tried it, not keen

4. 2 dirt pedals are more than enough for me

5. Tried it, not keen

6. Had a Boss Phase Shifter recently. Fun but never got any real use for it.

Option 2 could be the winner!!! :) Or maybe I'll leave it blank, just to be different.

The EBS Neo 1x15 joined the family today...

Just got back from practice using the Fafner at 2ohms through the 212 and 115... OMG... Stunning sound. Paired with the GB tone as well it's truely unreal.

Fafner has been giving me some jip though. The little red bulb behind the valve blew a few weeks ago. Replacement finally stoves today... Lasted 2.5 hours and then that one popped! Dammit. Silly bulbs. I also find that with the current setup, the casing of the Fafner vibrates souch you can hear it when you hit certain notes :) maybe I should turn down... Or maybe not!

Shep

The case on my TD 650 vibrates as well, took it out of the rack a few weeks back and checked everything was tight, found a few loose screws but it still vibrates a bit. Thats using 1 or 2 4x10 neolines which is shifting a fair amount of air :-)

Tony

Yeah I checked everything on mine was tight. I put a little electricians tape around the corners of the top case, as the noise comes from that sheet ofetal vibrating against the rest of it. The tape stops metal tapping metal and it's reduced the noise quite a bit! :)

Seems it a common issue. As is the bulb blowing on the Fafner...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='762622' date='Mar 3 2010, 09:36 AM']Yeah I checked everything on mine was tight. I put a little electricians tape around the corners of the top case, as the noise comes from that sheet ofetal vibrating against the rest of it. The tape stops metal tapping metal and it's reduced the noise quite a bit! :)

Seems it a common issue. As is the bulb blowing on the Fafner...[/quote]

I'm pretty sure i've got a Blue bulb lying about somewhere for the fafner. I changed my original red one for blue when mine blew the first time.

I could stick it in the post to you if you want??

Jake

Edit: Found a nice blurry pic.

Edited by jake_tenfloors

[quote name='jake_tenfloors' post='762714' date='Mar 3 2010, 10:54 AM']I'm pretty sure i've got a Blue bulb lying about somewhere for the fafner. I changed my original red one for blue when mine blew the first time.

I could stick it in the post to you if you want??

Jake[/quote]

Quite like it in blue... However I have just spoken to Bernie and he is going to modify the head to take LED's instead to avoid more bulbs going. Cheers for the offer though dude, really appreciate it!

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='763084' date='Mar 3 2010, 04:16 PM']Quite like it in blue... However I have just spoken to Bernie and he is going to modify the head to take LED's instead to avoid more bulbs going. Cheers for the offer though dude, really appreciate it![/quote]

Defo. God knows why the original had a bulb in it anyway. Resistor and LED, job done. Plus you can get some really cool colours. Go for blue!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='763141' date='Mar 3 2010, 05:10 PM']Defo. God knows why the original had a bulb in it anyway. Resistor and LED, job done. Plus you can get some really cool colours. Go for blue![/quote]

If Bernie gives me the choice of blue, I'll go for blue :-) Promise...