Why become a member? ×

J PUP Sillines

grumble

Ok, so I have this Peavey Milestone thats becoming a victim of my silly ideas (defretting,respraying etc.) so now the next bit. Its fitted with a pair of J pups and I've just picked up an identical pair for a fiver. So now my brain is working along the lines pairing them up in a humbucker stylee with coil cut swtiches. Anyone tried this or have any idea how to wire them ? Considering cutting two of the mounting screws off each one then glueing together.

Ok, someone point out the stupidity of my ideas or give me some idea for the wiring otherwise its time to fire up the router :)

[quote]your jazz pair must be matched as a humbucking pair[/quote]

I understand the principles but how to actually wire/fit them is whats making me scratch my head. To 'humbuck' they must be wound in opposite directions IIRC, how would this be done in this case ?

[quote name='grumble' post='571893' date='Aug 17 2009, 06:36 PM']I understand the principles but how to actually wire/fit them is whats making me scratch my head. To 'humbuck' they must be wound in opposite directions IIRC, how would this be done in this case ?[/quote]

when one buys a pair of jazz pups they invariably will be wound to do this
i only mention it because one might buy them separately

ps the bridge one should be wider in a pair...but for economics some jazz basses come with the same one twice..but paired

i think its a good idea and if you can set the distance between them the same as the distance between the pole pieces on a mm hum bucker
cut the lugs to do this and dont worry about the gap if any...its black

[quote name='grumble' post='571893' date='Aug 17 2009, 06:36 PM']I understand the principles but how to actually wire/fit them is whats making me scratch my head. To 'humbuck' they must be wound in opposite directions IIRC, how would this be done in this case ?[/quote]

when one buys a pair of jazz pups they invariably will be wound to do this
i only mention it because one might buy them separately

ps the bridge one should be wider in a pair...but for economics some jazz basses come with the same one twice..but paired

i think its a good idea and if you can set the distance between them the same as the distance between the pole pieces on a mm hum bucker
cut the lugs to do this and dont worry about the gap if any...its black

Generally speaking, if the magnets attract the fronts of the pickups together then it's a fairly safe bet that they're a humbucking pair. One will be reverse wound reverse polarity (RWRP) in order to make the pair noise free.

A

I've found quite a bit of info [url="http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm"]here[/url] so I'm slowly getting my head round this. Working nights temporarily at the moment so my brain is a bit slower than usual, but I think I have an idea of what I'm doing :)
Thanks for the input peeps.

[quote name='grumble' post='572775' date='Aug 18 2009, 12:22 PM']I've found quite a bit of info [url="http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm"]here[/url] so I'm slowly getting my head round this. Working nights temporarily at the moment so my brain is a bit slower than usual, but I think I have an idea of what I'm doing :)
Thanks for the input peeps.[/quote]

those diagrams look a bit advanced for a simple jazz pair wired switched parallell/series with a simple switch

the switch should be double pole on/on/on if you want pll/srs