Why become a member? ×

Intonation - Joy Of Joys!

Hot Tub

I fitted a new set of RotoSound Nexus strings a couple of months back. That in itself was a revelation! :blush: However, I've been progressively less happy with the "accuracy" of notes around and above 5th position, despite having my tuner on its most accurate range setting and being absolutely spot on for the open strings. Some notes, I'm not sure how to describe this, just don't seem to "fit right". Time, I thought, to have a look at intonation.
I had a read of various books and did a bit of research, and despite some of the horror stories I'd heard, it seemed pretty straightforward.

Straightforward, I'm happy to say, is a gross overstatement! It's an absolute piece of p!ss stroll in the park! Half an hour to set up my 5-string from start to finish! And the difference is amazing! Suddenly it sounds accurate, precise, and... well... beautiful! I guess the deterioration must be pretty gradual, exacerbated no doubt by the new strings, but I'm amazed that I could tolerate it at all. Seriously, it's like a new instrument, and so incredibly easy to do!

Happy Hot Tub just wanted to share! :)

It's one of those things which was so much mystery around it that some players think it's complicated. It's only 1 screw to adjust after all :)

When I set up a bass I deliberately set all the saddles flat so that I creep up on the intonation by degree. This also puts the bend in the string behind the saddle and not in front of it. I also compare the open string against the 12th fret note, not against the harmonic which gives a false reading.

[quote name='7string' post='575003' date='Aug 20 2009, 01:14 AM']It's one of those things which was so much mystery around it that some players think it's complicated. It's only 1 screw to adjust after all :rolleyes:

When I set up a bass I deliberately set all the saddles flat so that I creep up on the intonation by degree. This also puts the bend in the string behind the saddle and not in front of it. I also compare the open string against the 12th fret note, not against the harmonic which gives a false reading.[/quote]

Pretty much exactly what I did. Probably more luck than judgement, but it seemed like common sense. :)

It's simple with an electronic tuner. Especially something accurate like a Peterson. It's slightly harder to do it without a tuner, but if you have a good ear it shouldn't be impossible. I prefer to use the open/12th fret method when using a tuner, but find it easier to do harmonic/12th by ear (since they're the same note). I do it every time I change my strings or adjust the action. It's amazing how much it can be thrown out by little changes things.

Edited by ~tl

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='575878' date='Aug 20 2009, 06:03 PM']I've always used the harmonic vs 12th fret - how come it gives a false reading?[/quote]

who doesnt...that is what we are intonating
the free octave against the set octave

:)

the false reading is coming from ????

Edited by mrcrow