Why become a member? ×

Reading Music

Pete Academy

I can read alright, but I'm not confident with sight-reading anything other than straight-forward parts because I lack experience on reading gigs, where there is a real pressure to get things right, stay in time and so on.

I think the only way to really get good at sight reading is to have to do it under pressure, i.e. in a band, where if you mess it up, you have to keep going.

I know my chords and theory inside out and I'm most comfortable reading chord charts, but it doesn't compare to reading dots and IME, if you're serious about learning to read, there is no quick fix - it just takes loads of time and practise.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='576415' date='Aug 21 2009, 10:04 AM']As a fairly new BC member, forgive me if this has been discussed before, but how many of you read music?
Do the one's that don't feel it's hindered you?
I can't read a note. :)[/quote]

not all intuitive musicians can read
many many musicians can however because its a way of communications...language

i would advise learning some bassic theory and perhaps in the process how to read...probably bass clef

it will take some time so do it as a side thing not to bust up your playing enjoyment

i learnt to read and did some theory when i started clarinet at 25...i would say after about 2-3 years i could get along ok
reading music has to be done in conjunction with an instrument and the type of music you will play
i was orchestral and big band so i had to learn loads of technical things as well

you wont regret it if you do learn..it can be of great reward

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='581576' date='Aug 26 2009, 04:29 PM']Music theory has moved from beign a way of explaining the sounds that are made to becoming a set of instructions on how to make the sounds. Using music theory to develop compositions could be seen as derivative. In reality it works both ways. The road from total tehnical musical knowledge to total intuitive technical ignorance is a continuum not two absolutes. Same with total reader (can't play without a score) and total improviser (free player) - most people are a bit of both.[/quote]

This is an interesting point.

For all my not be a sight reader, I've lost count of the number of bands I've been in, in a writing process, where I am by far the most advanced with theory, and have used pure theory to help come up with a nice chord sequence/bass-line/melody/rhythm, especially for getting from a section A to section B little joiny uppy bit without sounding too contrived. I like to think I know just enough theory to be useful in this way. I'd like to know more - particularly more complex harmony stuff, but it does start to make my head spin when I read about it.

I think it really needs someone there showing you examples of how this stuff works.

Maybe we could sort something out like that at a bass bash?