Why become a member? ×

Best preamp Pedal??? Your experiences...

bubinga5

I guess it depends on the kind of gigs you're doing - if you're playing gigs where FOH is carrying your sound, and your amp is just on-stage monitoring, then a pre-amp means you've got some control over your tone before it hits the DI box and the audience's ears. If your backline is what the audience are hearing, then there's little reason to add yet another set of tone controls to the ones already present on your bass and your amp, unless the tone you want ain't in there.

[quote name='mike257' post='589520' date='Sep 4 2009, 11:34 AM']I guess it depends on the kind of gigs you're doing - if you're playing gigs where FOH is carrying your sound, and your amp is just on-stage monitoring, then a pre-amp means you've got some control over your tone before it hits the DI box and the audience's ears. If your backline is what the audience are hearing, then there's little reason to add yet another set of tone controls to the ones already present on your bass and your amp, unless the tone you want ain't in there.[/quote]

I think that sums it up very neatly!

I use my Avalon U5 both as a preamp and a DI - when gigging with the Big One I just tell the soundman to leave the EQ on the board flat unless the PA is weird, whilst with the Compact I ask him to roll off the highs on the board to replicate the roll-off of the 15" driver, otherwise the I'll end up adjusting my tone with my playing to suit the song but that'll be based on a stage sound which is dissimilar to the FOH sound.

I haven't yet gigged with my Shuttle 6.0 but I presume with that I'll run the DI pre-EQ with the Compact but post-EQ with the Big One or T'Midget/Compact stack.

Alex

[quote name='Eight' post='588954' date='Sep 3 2009, 06:33 PM']My amp head has separate inputs for active/passes basses, and I also usually run through a fuzz and a limiter; are we saying I'd get nothing from adding a pre-amp?

I'm just not really sure what they're for.[/quote]
You would have a lot of redundant features- the preamp would do the same sort of thing as the EQ/preamp section on your amp.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='589551' date='Sep 4 2009, 11:58 AM']You would have a lot of redundant features- the preamp would do the same sort of thing as the EQ/preamp section on your amp.[/quote]
Cheers mate.

So I'll just keep them in the back of my mind incase I ever go into a PA. Although the amp head has a post-EQ DI out anyway...