Why become a member? ×

Well lookee here... '71 Jazz!

wateroftyne

Cheers, all!

I used it at a jam night last night and it was FAB. The Bass Doc was there, and played a couple of tunes on it too. He's given it the thumbs-up.

Cairobill... feels fairly similar to my '73. The neck is pretty much the same profile.

The big difference is the weight.. my '73 was an average weight for a Jazz, which would be towards the heavy side for a Precision (IMO). The '71 feels more like a medium/light Precision. It's lovely, but resonant with it. No dead spot at all!

Si... I got it from BC! It was slobluesine's. I lusted after it from the day he listed it. He was (understandably) reluctant to haggle, and it took me quite a while to scratch the cash together and cave in to GAS. I can totally understand why he wouldn't budge much. It's an incredibly honest bass in excellent condition.

A basket case of a '72 (Did anyone see it? The neck was a mess) just went on ebay for over £1600, and it was that that convinced me that this one was worth the extra.

Clarky... they're my usuals. La Bella FLs! Having said that, these ones are a little bit long-in-the-tooth even by my standards. I might crack open a new packet.

on that picture of the 3 together i think its quite interesting to see the difference in the sunbursts, the precision on the right hardly has any red (is it two tone or three?) and the jazz has lots of red. is that to do with different years or are/were fender just incosistent with their sunbursts?

[quote name='Tait' post='594946' date='Sep 10 2009, 05:44 PM']on that picture of the 3 together i think its quite interesting to see the difference in the sunbursts, the precision on the right hardly has any red (is it two tone or three?) and the jazz has lots of red. is that to do with different years or are/were fender just incosistent with their sunbursts?[/quote]
Hello Tait!

It's a 3T. The red is the first to fade when exposed to sunlight. The back of that bass still has the red intact.. it must have been standing by a window for a few years or something....

[quote name='molan' post='596714' date='Sep 12 2009, 06:08 PM']Nice one Michael, pleased to see the money went to a good home :rolleyes:

Are the P's missing their sibling yet?[/quote]
Cheers, Barrie!

Yep.. straight away. The J is keeping my mnd off it, though... it's marvellous. A couple of gigs under it's belt now. A little tweak after each, and it's spot-on now. :)

• 2 weeks later...