Why become a member? ×

Battery in pbass?

charic

[quote name='charic' post='63610' date='Sep 21 2007, 02:03 PM']Has anyone ever had a problem fitting a 9v battery in a Fender pbass? I just cant seem to manage to get the scratchplate on if i put it in there. Why?![/quote]

How about because they weren't desinged to take batteries?
Although there are considerable differences between different ages and models (MIA, MIJ, MIM) in terms of control cavities, I would imagine most would need some form of modification in terms of routing first. There's certainly no room for a battery of any sort in any of mine
Chris

[quote name='charic' post='63636' date='Sep 21 2007, 02:43 PM']Yeah i tried for ages and didnt manage it. I got an aurora project scratchplate that uses a 9v and theres no way i could get the plate on there with the battery in. Its a MIM btw[/quote]

I assumed you were installing a pre-amp. Are you simply trying to power a scratchplate?! I can't believe you can't use a watch battery for those thgings! Personally, and without sounding rude, I wouldn't bother. I certainly would not modify the bass in any way for it :)
Chris

[quote name='ped' post='63645' date='Sep 21 2007, 03:03 PM']You could always have an external battery if it HAS to be a 9v - duck tape it to your strap and have an electrical tape coated set of wires going inside the body...[/quote]

All that to make the pickguard luminous :)

One of the ways that Fender are able to make cheaper basses as well as building them in plces where the labour is less expensive is to build slightly thinner bodies. My Squier VMJ has a body that's about 4mm thinner than the standard Fender J-Bass. Of course this means that the control cavity is correspondingly shallower. I'm guessing that on a P Bass where there would be a limited number of places where a PP3 battery would fit on the standard model any reduction in body thickness will reduce this even further.

Out of interest where in the control cavity are you supposed to be able to fit this battery according to the makers of the scratchplate?

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='63655' date='Sep 21 2007, 03:33 PM']Actually, has anybody come up with a system whereby you can use the phantom power coming out of a desk and into a DI to power a bass in the event of battery failure with active circuits and light up scratchplates and stuff?[/quote]
EBS amps have phantom powering for basses and pedals via stereo jack leads, powered by the input and effects send.

You could always rip apart the 9volt battery and wire the individual batteries (Yes, 9v pp3 batters are usually just made up of normal batteries) together in series and see if they'll fit in underneath all the pots.

Could make a U shape to reduce length and height taken.

/Bodge job.