Why become a member? ×

I need your opinions please fellow musicians...

bubinga5

Hey people..i have formed a band recently..we play originals that myself, and John the organist write... plus a few covers..Lorna the singer has suggested some tracks that she would like to sing..some being some classics like

Vaughn de Williams . be thankfull
Bobby Womack . Daylight
omar . theres nothing like this
Creep . Stevie Wonder (done in a latin feel) not sure how this is going to work
Gershwin's. Summertime (in a very soulfull funky feel)

We have a saxophonist, and flute player, an awsome rythm guitarist, a super man jazz drummer, an amazing woman vocalist from Bristol, trying to get a percussionist and Trumpet man/woman..

the covers i want to do are..

Incognito..Colibri

Candi Staton..little Taste of love

Gwen Mcrae...Keep the fires burning..Awsome disco funk

SOS band...Groovin

apart from the not so well known suggestion from Lorna, im not sure if my suggestion are even more obscure, and may not be known by the crowd?

Ive made sure that the songs ive put forward are very well done, groove wise,and super tight... i would never let them be played if they were not in the pocket....and the musicians love playing tthem and it shows

I chose these because they are very upbeat, and it makes ME move..

do you think they may be a little unknown..i guess it depends on the crowd..we have advertised as Jazzfunk groove soul..but people like to hear recognised tunes..

Can you suggest anything i hadnt thoght of?

I would like to hear your thoughts..

Edited by bubinga5

I wish i had your band mate,why not whack in a more obscure brand new heavies tune,forever is nice,or maybe free your mind by JTQ that has some good flute on it.I wouldnt worry about them being not known people might think you wrote them.

Edited by YouMa

Well I know 5 of the artists, but only one of the songs, so I'm a real authority on this sort of music.

Off the top of my head I've got 2 ideas for stuff that punters will recognise. 1. Why not dig out some tracks from KC and the Sunshine Band. A sadly neglected group, but if you play their hits, then people will at least nod and tap. Florida Funky Disco.

2. You've got a flute player, so Jethro Tull. Easily funkified.

For a more straight ahead jazz feel, why not listen to Dave Grusin. Re-arrange all the piano parts for organ. He's done a lot of soundtracks, including one for the film "Havana". I've got a copy downstairs. Brought it home from the charity shop and only played 2 tracks. Presumably a little more latin.

Balcro.

What about "Midnight at the oasis"?
original or "heavies" cover ohh.....
and (with some interesting solos here and there) "Apparently nothing" by.....err....er....sorry but, was that by the brand new heavies as well? Im not sure :rolleyes:
Isley brothers "summer breeze" would be nice too :)

Edited by witterth

[quote name='witterth' post='596027' date='Sep 11 2009, 08:45 PM']What about "Midnight at the oasis"?
original or "heavies" cover ohh.....
and (with some interesting solos here and there) "Apparently nothing" by.....err....er....sorry but, was that by the brand new heavies as well? Im not sure :rolleyes:
Isley brothers "summer breeze" would be nice too :)[/quote]
Young Disiples

[quote name='bubinga5' post='595942' date='Sep 11 2009, 06:51 PM']do you think they may be a little unknown..i guess it depends on the crowd..we have advertised as Jazzfunk groove soul..but people like to hear recognised tunes..[/quote]

Some might be a little unknown and it does depend on the crowd but for jazz/funk/soul, it's more about how hard it grooves and gets people moving. Noone wants to hear covers bands that all play the same tired material! (By noone I mean me).

[quote name='Tait' post='596156' date='Sep 11 2009, 11:21 PM']i've not heard of any of those songs except the stevie wonder one.[/quote]

I've not even heard that one ..... unless Black Label Society covered it