Why become a member? ×

So.....Fender SCN Pickups

Tinman

Ok, so the Jazz I picked up in the States has SCN pickups fitted to it and I'm not sure about them at all. They seem awfully quiet and if I'm honest, a bit dead.

Is there anyone out there who has come across this issue and if so, what did you do to improve things?

Edited by Tinman

Right, I've played it some more and I'm getting close to thinking that these pickups are not for me.

So, what I need are some recommendations. What I'm looking for are very high output, preferably hum canceling, bottom end and low mid heavy pickups.

Please help, this is driving me nuts :)

Pete

[quote name='Sibob' post='597555' date='Sep 13 2009, 06:26 PM']I've had some very nice results from my Dimarzio Ultrajazzes!
Check them out :)

Never used SCN's in anger I have to say, but I wouldn't have thought they'd be too shabby, I assume the jazz you have is an 'active deluxe' of some sort!?

Si[/quote]

Dimarzios , interesting :rolleyes:

The Jazz is a passive FSR and I'm thinking that there's where the problem lies. From the research I've done, the SCN pickups are normally fitted to actives. There's just no bite to them at all.

Pete

[quote name='Weird War' post='599192' date='Sep 15 2009, 01:23 PM']Hi Pete

I have SCNs in a passive Jazz and I like them, haven't noticed them being quiet (apart from less hum :)) - have you tried raising the pups at all? In terms of hum cancelling alternatives, Nordstrand do some and I've used Bill Lawrence J-45s before which were excellent.

Doug[/quote]

Hey Doug

Yeah, I've tried adjusting the height to no avail. I guess I just don't like them. I'll have a look into Bill Lawrences and see what the blurb is.

Thanks

Pete

[quote name='Tinman' post='598424' date='Sep 14 2009, 05:18 PM']Si, I take it that the DiMarzios have a good powerful output?

Pete[/quote]

Yes mate, I find them very powerful!
That was actually the main part of the spec I was interested in. I was using an 18v Active bass for my band, but wanted a Passive solution instead, so put a Jazz bass together and dropped the UltraJazzes in. Have absolutely no want to go back to active now for that particular project, the UJ's sound fantastic.

Si