Why become a member? ×

How did you start?

TRadford

I got my first bass last week and have just started learning, and I wondered how some of you got started.
Why, and what was the first thing you learnt. Was it with the intention of joining a band? or just for fun?
Did you get a teacher straight away or just figure things out yourself in the bedroom?

This week, I have so far from tab learnt the bass lines to some of my favourite songs and some of those which I thought would be easy to learn.
I can now play....

Roots Bloody Roots by Sepultura.
All the small things by Blink-182
Adams Song by Blink-182
The first half of Greener Pastures by No Doubt, just started this one today, so still need time to get the rest of it learnt.

I still need a quick glance at the tabs every now and then, but I think I have most of them down now.
Not hard songs I know, but considering I hadnt ever properly played a bass before, I dont think thats to shabby!

You're doin' great :rolleyes: Far better than when I first started. When I was on the verge of leaving school(I was part time in last 2 years)
I found proper friends who all had guitars. They were of course cheap copies,but I was in awe.
Anyway,couldn't play that ,after mummy got me one from he catalogue. Got her to change for a Fenfer treetrunk copy by hondo2.

Living in a big house with big noisy family and a dog,it took me ages to learn.

I got tab books, but not by bands. Found a great friend through work who taught me loads..
Saw teacher after playing my 1st gig in front of 200 people.

In and out of covers bands when the mood takes me now. :)

Never mind eh? Sorry for showing an interest..

As a well established member on a drum forum for over 5 years with over 2500 posts, its something that happens. I dont look at every single post in all the forums just in case something similar has been posted.

You will always get the same sort of posts over and over.. If you didnt, this and every other forum would have died a long time ago.

[quote name='TRadford' post='600780' date='Sep 16 2009, 09:52 PM']Never mind eh? Sorry for showing an interest..

As a well established member on a drum forum for over 5 years with over 2500 posts, its something that happens. I dont look at every single post in all the forums just in case something similar has been posted.

You will always get the same sort of posts over and over.. If you didnt, this and every other forum would have died a long time ago.[/quote]

Oh sorry, TRadford.
My post obviously came over as a bit snide. That wasn't the intention

What I was meaning to do was to direct this one to that one to consolidate the two as the same ground was being covered simultaneously. I realise that the same topics get covered on a regular basis, and sometimes by the same people (guilty!) but in this case I was concerned that your thread would not get any contributions as lots of people had already written their bit this week on the other one.

Best Wishes
OG

[quote name='OldGit' post='600788' date='Sep 16 2009, 09:57 PM']Oh sorry, TRadford.
My post obviously came over as a bit snide. That wasn't the intention

What I was meaning to do was to direct this one to that one to consolidate the two as the same ground was being covered simultaneously. I realise that the same topics get covered on a regular basis, and sometimes by the same people (guilty!) but in this case I was concerned that your thread would not get any contributions as lots of people had already written their bit this week on the other one.

Best Wishes
OG[/quote]

No worries!

As for the drummer/rythmn thing. At the moment I guess it to early to tell. When I was trying to play a song earlier I was struggling with the rythmn. It was a sort of triplet feel. Despite knowing the song by heart on drums, and knowing the rythmn.

I have never had formal drum lessons, I learnt by ear and by playing along with my brother on guitar, so I was never really tuned into a bass line, I followed a rythmn guitar all the time. This means I have tuned my ears to hear the rythmn guitar rather than bass, which most of the time is ok as it usually follows the bassline anyway, but sometimes it can throw you a little bit.

Its early days yet, and Im really enjoying learning these songs, simple as they are. I was getting a bit fed up with my drumming, I was stuck in a rut, and picking up a bass has not only given me a challenge to pass the time while Im off work, but I have noticed I am also enjoying playing the drums more for the short amount of time I can actually put up with the pain!

Oh and how long does it take for your fingers to get used to strings!! They are really sore! :)

Just stick with it .. I had to check out the tracks you listed (not my era :)) they are not your normal boring starter tracks o I'd say that's pretty good for a few weeks playing.
Having played in a band you'll have the band playing skills that a lot of starters don't have, the listening and interplay stuff.

I'd suggest lining up a tutor as soon as you can and having a block of, say 10 lessons to start with just to make sure you start off along teh right roads. get your technique appraised and modified if needed, make some contacts as a bass player rather than as a drummer etc ...

Oh and, if you can, start learning the dots as well as tabs...

How long til you fingers are Ok with playing? Well I''ve not had a blister since last Friday week ..... but that was playing my upright bass :rolleyes:

jst keep going and your fingers and skin will get used to it.