Why become a member? ×

Shuker - bit of an update

niceguyhomer

Had a very pleasant half a day over at Jon Shuker's workshop yesterday. I've replaced the pups on my Shuker 5 with a set of Wizard custom jobbies and put a preamp bypass switch on. First impressions are very good but I'll wait until after rehearsal tomorrow before I get too excited.

Jon's a top bloke - I really enjoyed his company ...and the dog's. Hoping to still be in a job and have enough money to commission a fretless in 2010.

Anyway, here's a pic and one of it's brother - also a Shuker.

This is what I put 'em through...

Happy days :)

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='609567' date='Sep 26 2009, 08:28 PM']Did Andy make you a set of GEM's, Al?

He did Steve - nice pups, I'm very pleased :)[/quote]

[quote name='Clarky' post='609570' date='Sep 26 2009, 08:30 PM']Aguilar rigs look really classy ... and I really like the look of the blue super-Jazz

Nice set-up there NGH[/quote]

Thanks Clarky :lol:

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='609578' date='Sep 26 2009, 08:36 PM']I love the colour on that Jazz Alan (or should I say Gramps?).

Is the Jazz fitted with the same pre, with an active/passive switch.

You must come and see my Spector some time.

Peter[/quote]

Baby's due tomorrow :rolleyes:

Jazz has a Shuker 2 band pre with an active / passive switch :lol:

I'll head North when it's all calmed down!

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='609581' date='Sep 26 2009, 08:41 PM'][quote name='Crazykiwi' post='609567' date='Sep 26 2009, 08:28 PM']Did Andy make you a set of GEM's, Al?[/quote]

He did Steve - nice pups, I'm very pleased :)

[/quote]
Awesome. Did he wind them for extra bass like mine? I'm seriously contemplating getting them put in my Shuker 6 and they'll definitely go in the other Spector NS5CR which is heading my way.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='609594' date='Sep 26 2009, 08:53 PM']He did Steve - nice pups, I'm very pleased :)

Awesome. Did he wind them for extra bass like mine? I'm seriously contemplating getting them put in my Shuker 6 and they'll definitely go in the other Spector NS5CR which is heading my way.[/quote]

I just told him I wanted a nice Jazz bass sound - articulate and with good solid mids. Soloed, it seems to be on the button but the test will come tomorrow at rehearsal. Basses always sound completely different to me in the mix, which is why I've made so many mistakes in the past buying basses that sounded sweet soloed but were a steaming pile of bat poo playing in a live band setting.

Nice basses Alan, that aggie rig is nice as well!

I've been thinking about another 5 for a while now and saw that blue jazz on the shuker site, very nice! I think I may need to speak to John, maybe wait until Bass day

Thanks for dropping the p/ups off BTW, sorry I wasn't around!

Tony

[quote name='sshorepunk' post='610095' date='Sep 27 2009, 04:16 PM']Nice basses Alan, that aggie rig is nice as well!

I've been thinking about another 5 for a while now and saw that blue jazz on the shuker site, very nice! I think I may need to speak to John, maybe wait until Bass day

Thanks for dropping the p/ups off BTW, sorry I wasn't around!

Tony[/quote]

No worries mate :) - I would love a 5 string version of that Jazz, it's the perfect bass for me.

The Wizards are absolutely superb Si, I would say the bass sounds more 'solid' and less shy (?) in the mix. The output across the strings is much more even - the B string is noticeably much clearer and has more sustain.

The bass still sounds very modern and hi-fi (slappers would love this bass) but the mids are better. Overall, I'm very pleased.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='610605' date='Sep 28 2009, 09:48 AM']The Wizards are absolutely superb Si, I would say the bass sounds more 'solid' and less shy (?) in the mix. The output across the strings is much more even - the B string is noticeably much clearer and has more sustain.

The bass still sounds very modern and hi-fi (slappers would love this bass) but the mids are better. Overall, I'm very pleased.[/quote]

Hey great,.
Yeah it was supposed to sound modern - maple board plus brass nut and small body all "help" in that area, I'm told :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='611009' date='Sep 28 2009, 05:06 PM']Thanks Russ, just noticed in the pic that the control plate on the Jazz doesn't cover the cavity completely. I really hope I can fix that tonight cos it'll drive me mad otherwise.[/quote]

That's to let thoese wrong notes escape :)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='611009' date='Sep 28 2009, 05:06 PM']Thanks Russ, just noticed in the pic that the control plate on the Jazz doesn't cover the cavity completely. I really hope I can fix that tonight cos it'll drive me mad otherwise.[/quote]

:) I sold a Marcus Miller because the pickguard didn't quite line up properley, it just bugged me every time I looked at it. Don't make the same mistake though !!