Why become a member? ×

Low tension nickel roundwounds that don't buzz

Clarky

Hi, I generally play with TI Flats and like the low tension, soft feel of the strings. The rounds I have tried either have been much higher tension (eg, Fender stock Superbass), too 'hard' and unflexible feeling (eg, Roto Swing stainless steels) or - in the case of TI Jazz Rounds - too thin and floppy (necessitating high action to avoid buzzing, whereas I like as low an action as possible)

So does anyone have a recommendation for a set of nickel rounds that are reasonably low tension but don't buzz or flap around even when set up with low action? I'm guessing one of the DR range will be the answer but I get confused by all their possibilities (Sunbeams, Lo-Beams, Lo-Riders etc etc).

Thanks in advance, Clarky

PS, I play straight pick (occasionally fingerstyle) rock bass and don't slap if thats also important

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='lozbass' post='610025' date='Sep 27 2009, 02:51 PM']D'addario XL nickel rounds are reasonably priced and have low to medium tension (lower with lighter gauge). Trust me, I really wouldn't use them if they were anything more than on the lower side of medium[/quote]
Thanks for that - the StringsDirect page has a bewildering array of gauges, any you think would fit the bill best (40-100, 45-105)? [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/564-daddario_exl_nickel_wound_long_scale_bass"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/56...long_scale_bass[/url]

Hi Clarky,

I normally buy the twin packs (available at the link below) in 40-95. These are the EXL 220 in long scale. The price is pretty good and the tension is fine for me on long-scale basses. I have a bit of an issue with wrist rotation so prefer a slightly lighter E on long-scales - the 95 is just about right. The strings are fairly bright and reasonably long-lasting in my experience. I don't tend to use a pick so it may be worth asking opinions from those that do. From what I read, D'addario nickel rounds are one of the most popular strings on the market (they seem to be of high and uniform quality without the price tag of some of the more boutique names - I trust them enough to have them on an Alleva and a Sei Jazz).

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/1405-d_addario_exl_nickel_wound_bass_twin_pack"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/14..._bass_twin_pack[/url]

Another vote for XLs.
Since i got my DJ5 ive gone through a few different sets of strings. My fav strings (Elixirs) felt too tight and i really liked the feel of the Lakland SS strings that came with the DJ5 but don't really like SS strings in general.
I had a set of XLs on my HW1 Jazz and tried these and they felt perfect. At the moment ive got a set of GHS Boomers on but with a XL E, the tension feels about the same.

Ive used XLs on and off over the past 6 years. They have a great tone but sometimes i find them a bit rough, normally after using flats for any length of time but on the whole they are great.

My action is quite low and i play with a pick most of the time and im not really getting any buzz.

DR Lo-Riders are somewhat more stiff than the Hi Beams, but still not anything like as stiff as the D'Addarios that came on my Roscoe (which were all but unplayable IMO)

DR Hi Beams need a slight action adjustment in the wrong direction unless you play really light.

But your post is asking almost the impossible, you want strings that arent stiff, but allow a low action - that can not be done. If a string is noticeably more flexible it will vibrate over a wider area and therefore require a higher action not to buzz.

I have a pretty low action and Hi Beams but I play gently and the setup on the bass is superb...

I would prefer Lo-Riders though, since they produce more midrangey tone.

just put a EXL170-5 (Long Scale) on my bass. Gauges are: 45, 65, 80, 100, 130

Don't know what the strings were that they replaced, but they were/appear to be identical gauges. They may have been DR Hi-Beams. They felt like them, and had a similar tension to what I've experienced with Hi-Beams in the past.

The EXLs feel slightly more elastic. A subtle difference but I feel like vibrato/bending the string is slightly less of an effort.

No truss rod/action adjustments required.

B string clarity is excellent, and it sounds warm and punchy and not too bright. Harmonics ring out with clarity and definition.

Next time I'm going to try the lighter EXL220-5 set (in a longer scale). But these ones feel nice and smooth, and sound very nice after haveing been on the bass all of 15 minutes.

The only down-side is that the taper starts too early on the E and B strings, i.e. before the string crosses the zero fret/nut. This actually doesn't appear to have an adverse effect, but I'd say "Long Scale" is not long enough for a 35" scale bass.

Annoyingly, on strings direct they or D'Addario quote:
34"-36" - D'Addario Long
36"-38" - D'Addario Super Long

IMO the long scale is NOT long enough for a 35" let along 36" scale (B and E strings at least). So I'd suggest the Super Long if your bass is 35" or more. I think the Long Scale would be fine up to 34.5" scale.

Thanks Gwilym and thanks to everyone else who contributed. I happened to have lying around (taken off a bass I had sold on) a set of EB nickel Super Slinkys 45-65-80-100 and these played pretty nicely. Also these were the only only strings I have ever owned without silks at the end (which always go all ragged with me as I am forever swapping strings). I really could do without silk wrappings!

DR Sunbeams (blue packet?) are the best strings I've ever used - sounds like they'd be great for what you want. They feel more flexible than any other round-wound string I've used, not as floppy as TI flats but getting closer (without the daft-light gauges of TI rounds). Also sound very good, of course. The trouble is the cost, but just don't buy them from the UK and you can save a bit.

Thomastik Superalloys are also pretty nice, a bit cheaper but I've had some issues with them - small ball ends (slip through the bridge holes!) and short G strings which only just reach the tuner on a Fender...not good.

Also Overwaters own brand nickels are good, and a lot cheaper.