Why become a member? ×

Converting my Jazz to a PJ. 3 way switch or not?

dave_bass5

Some of you might know in getting my DJ5 converted to a PJ to try and get my P thump back. I was going to get it wired in just like the old neck pup but have been reading that i might get a better, more authentic tone from the P pup if i have a 3 way selector switch wired in to take out the bridge pup when not using it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers guys.
Just to go over the point again.
Its not for quick change or anything, its to to with the Jazz pup not interfering with the P.
From what ive read taking the Jazz out of circuit will improve the P a bit more. But i dont see a lot of PJ's with a switch so im wondering just how much difference it makes.
I doubt ill use the jazz (bridge) pup much anyway. I'm not sure about a push pull on the volume as it could get knocked back on. I was thinking a small switch near the tone knob, out of the way.

Edited by dave_bass5

I've found there's not much difference between a switch and two volumes. Lately though I've been using one volume full on and just dialling in a bit of contrast to open out the sound, which you definitely won't get with a switch. If you could find a small enough 3-way toggle, maybe you could do the Gibson thing and have both the volumes for blending and the switch for speed and electrical isolation. So long as you don't mind your DJ5 looking like a BC Rich :)

Thanks Henry.
Yes, a Gibson type switch is what im after although i would have a small DPDT type one rather than a big one.

Im hoping to use the P most of the time so i wont need quick and easy access to the switch. I dont even konw what a PJ sounds like but if i have the switch in the centre (both on) position shouldn't that give me the same as having a VVT set up and so allow me to blend the two pups?

I do think its a shame to hack the DJ5 up but as long as its done well i dont mind.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='613856' date='Oct 1 2009, 03:33 PM']Thanks Henry.
Yes, a Gibson type switch is what im after although i would have a small DPDT type one rather than a big one.

Im hoping to use the P most of the time so i wont need quick and easy access to the switch. I dont even konw what a PJ sounds like but if i have the switch in the centre (both on) position shouldn't that give me the same as having a VVT set up and so allow me to blend the two pups?

I do think its a shame to hack the DJ5 up but as long as its done well i dont mind.[/quote]
Yeah, the 'both on' position will give you the same effect as a VVT setup so long as the switch is connected after the volumes and before the tone(!). You may find your biggest headache will be finding a small enough switch to do the pickups. An actual DPDT switch won't work unless you use two, (you'd only need single poles, one for each pickup), but you're going from BC Rich into Alembic territory here. Otherwise you'd need either a toggle switch or a Fender 'cheese cutter' type switch. The Fender type is quite unobtrusive and if you're having your beloved routed anyway then it maybe wouldn't cost that much more. Otherwise, maybe the push-pull pots are the most practical solution.

I'd be interested to see the result, sounds really interesting, especially as it's quite a 'high end' bass.

Just a thought, if you only wanted to turn the Jazz pickup off then you could use a tiny single pole switch, or maybe use a push pull pot on your tone control so it's nicely out of the way. :)

Edited by henry norton

Cheers Henry.

I didnt actually mean specifically a DPDT switch, just that type of small, coil tap type of thing but your right, a on/off switch for the rear pup would be fine. I cant ever see me having to solo the bridge pup and even if i did want to i can just turn the neck pup down.
I would go fo ra push pull pot but im worried about it getting pushed in by mistake or sticking out too far. Minor details really i guess. I think i would prefer a Gibson type toggle switch to the Fender type (your talking about the strat type aren't you?)

I now have all the bits ready to take to the Gallery. Im supposed to be taking it in on 10th Oct although i might try and get there after work one day next week. Just have to figure out what i want to do about the switch.

I will post how it goes but probably in my main "Getting a DJ5" thread in the bass section although i will post something here as well.

Thanks again for the ideas.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='613412' date='Sep 30 2009, 11:02 PM']Push pull pickup cut on each volume, no new holes, all of the options, plus mute.[/quote]

I like this option. Push down so they look normal is on, pull up is off. Simple, elegant, and no need to modifiy the bass or control plate.

[quote name='Buzz' post='614605' date='Oct 2 2009, 10:43 AM']I like this option. Push down so they look normal is on, pull up is off. Simple, elegant, and no need to modifiy the bass or control plate.[/quote]

Yeah, i guess it might help keep the bass looking cleaner.
If i did go this route i think i would only need it on the bridge pup and i would have down as off as i really dont think ill use that pup much.

Ill talk to the Gallery next week before i take it all in and see what they think and see if it makes too much difference price wise.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update and a question.
Ive got the bass back and i had a push pull put on the bridge pup. This works great and i can hear a (very) slight difference between having the bridge turned right down and having it off completely using the switch so that was a good move.

Ive now got a lot of buzzing from the bridge pup as its a single coil so ive ordered a Nordy NJ5FS for that position.

When i got the bass back they had put the new pup in the opposite way to how i wanted. so B-E on one part and A-D-G on the other.

My question is when i changed the two half's around (so B-E-A and D-G now) one obviously could only go in a certain way (so poll pieces are under the D and G) but the other half could go either way. I have no way of knowing with way it goes but does this matter? The pole pieces are all flat and they all fall under a string so i figured this was ok but i just read that it could affect the rear pup if its not in the right way.

Any help would be most welcome.

This is how it is now.

Edited by dave_bass5