Why become a member? ×

Powering a bass off my PSU's daisy chain or another 9v adaptor?

kingforaday

right, i play passive basses these days so i've got used to not worrying about batteries etc. and all my pedals are run off a daisy chain with power supply.

however, in one band i'm in, i'm using my stagg upright and as i found out the other night it tends to cut out and feedback(?!) when the battary runs down... battery light was still on but dimmer, i think (i was on stage flapping about trying to find the problem so i can't remember) but whatever it was i changed the battery and it was all good.

got me thinking if i bought one of those diago battery clip converter things would it be ok to power my bass off the daisy chain? or am i being an idiot?

i'll only be using 2 or 3 pedals for this band (DI, Tuner and maybe a chorus) so i'll have extra plugs i can use, if it'll reach or it not a single 9v power supply with the same converter on the end?

also, what do you guys cover the daisy chain plugs you're not using (if there are any?!) with? i've done a search and seen blu-tak and electrical tape, but that all sounds a bit messy to me.

any help greatly appreciated.
cheers
matt

[quote name='kingforaday' post='623023' date='Oct 11 2009, 12:34 PM']also, what do you guys cover the daisy chain plugs you're not using (if there are any?!) with? i've done a search and seen blu-tak and electrical tape, but that all sounds a bit messy to me.[/quote]

i use the insulation from mains cable - cut a length a couple of inches long, and then pull out the cables from the inside.

you can slip this over the unused connectors in your daisy chain (trimming it to length if you like), and it stops them touching anything else.

if it's a tight fit, bung the insulaton in some warm water for a minute and this usually softens it enough to stretch it over the plug !

viola !

[quote name='ahpook' post='623131' date='Oct 11 2009, 02:39 PM']i use the insulation from mains cable - cut a length a couple of inches long, and then pull out the cables from the inside.

you can slip this over the unused connectors in your daisy chain (trimming it to length if you like), and it stops them touching anything else.

if it's a tight fit, bung the insulaton in some warm water for a minute and this usually softens it enough to stretch it over the plug !

viola ![/quote]

good call, thanks! i'll give that a go

[quote name='kingforaday' post='625829' date='Oct 14 2009, 11:18 AM']anyone? i've got a gig on friday and would like to give this a go but don't [i]really[/i] want to blow myself up...[/quote]

I don't know how useful this is, but one solution might be to buy Procells from Amazon or eBay. They perform superbly, and at £1 pp, you can afford to replace them regularly instead of waiting for the old one to run out.

S.P.

[quote name='Musky' post='625954' date='Oct 14 2009, 01:16 PM']I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work, though I'd have thought you'd have to remain fairly static - those power supply leads aren't very long.[/quote]

It's for an electric upright, so I think it's safe to assume that he's not going to be going crowdsurfing with it. :)

S.P.