Why become a member? ×

Played a brand new Fender 2009 P Bass tonight...

StevieD_FenderP2009

I got up close and personal with some 09 Fender P USA basses today and they were great. Sorry to bring up older topics but it was just the cheeky price rise at the start of the credit crunch that I didn't like. Factories aside it's also down to stores to give the bass a tweak too so as it plays to it's fullest potential. The number of shops who don't do this is staggering (& I do appreciate we all have different tastes but you can tell when something has come out the box and just been put straight on the wall).

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='629081' date='Oct 17 2009, 09:52 PM']Yeah, you did, cos you didn't read the FULL quote, what i actually said was

It is my OPINION, not the gospel word on it. Take note of the "this is my opinion on them"[/quote]
I know what the full quote was, but I think you're missing the point somewhat.

Toodle pip!

[quote name='StevieD_FenderP2009' post='629081' date='Oct 17 2009, 09:52 PM']Take note of the "this is my opinion on them"[/quote]

Just re-read this thread and, not wishing to pick a fight, you've said "this is my opinion on [u]them[/u]" having played only one? Subjective opinions are valid for sure, but is it not fair to say that, to be reliable and usable, opinions need to be backed up with a little more hard or broad evidence (or at least a more precise use of language)? Not having a pop at you Stevie - I'm sure it was indeed a crap bass as you suggest - more a pop at the habit we all have of generalising from the specific case to the general trend :)

C

If you like Ps, it shouldn't be hard to find a good new standard. My American Standard P, an '08, so the first year of the new ones, is killer. The best P i've owned, beating all the other Mexican and Japanese ones i've previously owned. The stock pickup is terrific and it roars & thumps evenly all over the the fretboard. I also appreciate the satin finish on the back of the neck (not a gloss fan) and the rolled fingerboard edges. I love the thing and i want to grow old with it.

I loved my '07. I was somewhat unimpressed when the pickup packed up after 12 months, but it was the useless S-1 system, which sooner or later I'd have got rid of anyway. Once I got an SD QP in there it was great. Loved the neck, and I always really liked the enclosed gear tuners with the F logo on them-never had any tuning problems at all. Would put it away after a gig and come back a week later, and it was still in tune. It had a slight paint flaw on the body, but nothing obvious, otherwise the finish and build quailty were fine. It appears that Fender are somewhat hit and miss with both their US and Mex basses, you just have to be sure you get a good one. I still find it hard to get excited about other manufacturers' basses-except my Shuker, but that's an entirely different animal! :)

Had two days to get acquainted with my new USA P5 and have to say, I'm really impressed with the build quality and finish. The neck is superb and feels worn in, I particularly like the new finish. The tuners are rock solid - smooth and positive. The neck pocket is as tight as a camels arse in a sandstorm and notes ring out and sustain for ages - and that's with flats FFS.

The biggest surprise for me is how light it is yet it still feels solid as a solid thing.

Really really pleased with this bass.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='630158' date='Oct 19 2009, 10:37 AM']Had two days to get acquainted with my new USA P5 and have to say, I'm really impressed with the build quality and finish. The neck is superb and feels worn in, I particularly like the new finish. The tuners are rock solid - smooth and positive. The neck pocket is as tight as a camels arse in a sandstorm and notes ring out and sustain for ages - and that's with flats FFS.

The biggest surprise for me is how light it is yet it still feels solid as a solid thing.

Really really pleased with this bass.[/quote]
+1 to all of the above as I acquired its twin last week also!

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='630158' date='Oct 19 2009, 09:37 AM']Had two days to get acquainted with my new USA P5 and have to say, I'm really impressed with the build quality and finish. The neck is superb and feels worn in, I particularly like the new finish. The tuners are rock solid - smooth and positive. The neck pocket is as tight as a camels arse in a sandstorm and notes ring out and sustain for ages - and that's with flats FFS.

Really really pleased with this bass.[/quote]

I dont suppose theres any chance of some sound clips is there Al? Theirs something inside of me that just refuses to believe a 5th string on a P bass will actually make any noise, at all! :)

My 2007 S1 is luvverly.

Better than the 1968 C neck I used to own in every way apart from the useless S1 switch (which is going soon).

I'm sure the quality varies on the new ones. But I bet the old ones were a lot more variable.

I would always 'try before buy' with a large cash outlay.

I don't buy this older is better malarkey.

I'm with you on that Low End Bee, give me a good new one any day. I played an early 60's Jazz once that had cost the owner £4500 - I wouldn't have given £200 for it.

I haven't played bass for long but I have owned a few Fender gu*tars since the late 60's and IMHO, the quality is a lot more consistent these days.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='628831' date='Oct 17 2009, 04:28 PM']:)[/quote]

What? I don't really like P basses and don't want one. However my point was it is a shame that the 09 one that this guy tried was not up to scratch. I happen to try to remain open minded to p basses as I may be missing something as others love them. I just think that is sucks that Fender always get a bad rap for their QC and I had heard almost everywhere that the 09s were much better. Stevies review would suggest there are still issues which disappointed me.

[quote name='metaltime' post='630238' date='Oct 19 2009, 12:01 PM']What? I don't really like P basses and don't want one. However my point was it is a shame that the 09 one that this guy tried was not up to scratch. I happen to try to remain open minded to p basses as I may be missing something as others love them. I just think that is sucks that Fender always get a bad rap for their QC and I had heard almost everywhere that the 09s were much better. Stevies review would suggest there are still issues which disappointed me.[/quote]

Stevie's review is just one person's opinion of one bass, nothing more. As importantly, even though it was relatively new, it had been out of the shop a while and out of the factory longer. Some of the probs Stevie talked about are simply taste issues (the finish) and so are irrelevent in the wider context (they are simply a matter of preference), others could be a fault or misuse (e.g., weak PUP, tuners). As I recently found out, a sharp blow to a PUP can screw it compeletely, and all sorts of things can happen to tuners.

I have 3 new Fenders.

I shopped around for years for a decent 'modern' Fender and gave up for a few years. I had a 2000 ish USA Jazz for a week and it was awful. I was so disappointed. I swapped that at the shop and they sent it back, and I ended up with the 2nd Stingray as in my sig.

But...Fender has always been right for me. I have a 2003 ish Telecaster and its a beautiful guitar.

When I moved home and had more cash, I realised the new 08/09 American Series was getting rave reviews. What I liked from the write-ups was the new case, new bridge, rolled fingerboards, glossy fingerboards, colour scheme, and a sound that was miles away from the poor Jazz I tried in 2000 ish.

Now? I have 3. 2 P's and 1 J. Fantastic for the price. All three of them thump exactly how I wanted a Fender to! Plus, the necks/bridges/cases are fantastic for a mass produced instrument.

There are still 'bad versions' out there. But the good ones are EXCELLENT. Yes there are minor 'niggles' with each instrument, but I would be picking at 'tiny' little things that most instruments under £1.5K would have, like very very minor flaw in the paint, you wouldnt see it unless you looked it up and down closely. I am extremely happy with my 3. Plus...all together, they cost less than a US Sadowsky.

Ive not played many other P's apart from Fender P's, but my Jazz, IMO, sounded and felt better than a Sadowsky Metro UV, and was less than half the price.

The P's thump and punch like crazy.

You need to try another! :)

Edited by Musicman20