Why become a member? ×

Bartolini Traditional jazz bass pickups - Anyone tried them?

Guest BassKS

Hey guys,

Just wondering about the abovementioned with respect to signal-to-noise ratio. The plan is to use them on a cheapy jazz and EQ the sound with a tonehammer. However, the website says that theyre not recommended for used with electronics. Do I buy them or not?

Help the Retarded.

Fatos

Edited by BassKS

[quote name='BassKS' post='630059' date='Oct 19 2009, 09:06 AM']Hey guys,

Just wondering about the abovementioned with respect to signal-to-noise ratio. The plan is to use them on a cheapy jazz and EQ the sound with a tonehammer. However, the website says that theyre not recommended for used with electronics. Do I buy them or not?

Help the Retarded.

Fatos[/quote]

I can't say I have tried them but I would hazard a guess that due to them not being recommended with electronics would suggest to me that they are high output with maybe a large number of windings and strong magnets. They would also develop more bass and mids and the top end response would drop off considerably. What you will get with electronics is likely to be a load of distortion as the output from the pickups are too hot for the circuit. Similarly, higher output pickups will induce a higher level of unwanted noise which will be amplified to an unacceptable level with a pre.

I have used these -

[url="http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/new_bass_pu_s4.htm"]http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/new_bass_pu_s4.htm[/url]

with a pre and I can confirm that they are OK and the noise level (e.g. the hiss etc) is of an acceptable level.

Due to the way they are constructed (formed in resin), Barts are known to be one of the least noisy pickups on the market.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='630200' date='Oct 19 2009, 11:32 AM']I can't say I have tried them but I would hazard a guess that due to them not being recommended with electronics would suggest to me that they are high output with maybe a large number of windings and strong magnets. They would also develop more bass and mids and the top end response would drop off considerably. What you will get with electronics is likely to be a load of distortion as the output from the pickups are too hot for the circuit. Similarly, higher output pickups will induce a higher level of unwanted noise which will be amplified to an unacceptable level with a pre.

I have used these -

[url="http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/new_bass_pu_s4.htm"]http://www.bartolini.net/information/bass/new_bass_pu_s4.htm[/url]

with a pre and I can confirm that they are OK and the noise level (e.g. the hiss etc) is of an acceptable level.

Due to the way they are constructed (formed in resin), Barts are known to be one of the least noisy pickups on the market.[/quote]

Aha, so as passive they would work well?

[quote name='BassKS' post='630247' date='Oct 19 2009, 12:11 PM']Aha, so as passive they would work well?[/quote]

If you want pickups to use passive only, then yes.

If you want to use the pickups passive or active, then the one in the link - the bartolinis that everybody has got to know and love :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='630311' date='Oct 19 2009, 01:10 PM']If you want pickups to use passive only, then yes.

If you want to use the pickups passive or active, then the one in the link - the bartolinis that everybody has got to know and love :)[/quote]

Ah Ok.

I will wait and gross some cash from sales then. The trad ones were offered to me for 50 quid.
Thanks EBSFreak

[quote name='BassKS' post='630611' date='Oct 19 2009, 06:27 PM']Ah Ok.

I will wait and gross some cash from sales then. The trad ones were offered to me for 50 quid.
Thanks EBSFreak[/quote]

No probs dude. It may be worthwhile checking ebay... Barts can be imported quite cheap from time to time.