Why become a member? ×

Selmer Treble and Bass head SRV 50

Jigster

Have a chance to get one of these at around the £350 mark - recently re-conditioned and overhauled, seems pretty sweet - no DI of course as it's a late 60's I believe, what are people's thoughts on mic'ing a bass cab, shud a bass always be DI'd?

And also, has anyone owned/played one of these - how was it?

Ta

[quote name='Jigster' post='631434' date='Oct 20 2009, 03:41 PM']Have a chance to get one of these at around the £350 mark - recently re-conditioned and overhauled, seems pretty sweet - no DI of course as it's a late 60's I believe, what are people's thoughts on mic'ing a bass cab, shud a bass always be DI'd?

Ta[/quote]

It's a fairly unremarkable amp... but it does the job. Your deal seems OK - you could probably get one cheaper though - although the cost always varies with condition. As for it being re-conditioned, I wouldn't like to hazard a guess what impact that has on it's market value. These amps are pretty easy to find on the vintage market. I know, it was the first bass amp I ever played through!

Sound wise, it will give you a usable sound although it's unlikely to keep up in anything but a quiet laid back band. There is no problem DIing. I always enjoyed playing an old jazz through it and the vintage/retro vibe it gave.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='cd_david' post='631485' date='Oct 20 2009, 04:28 PM']I owned one for a few months and had it restored/ covering and capacitors. Very loud amp but also VERY bright, had to have the bass on full and treble on 0 to get a usable tone.[/quote]

Mine example wasn't overly loud - but that might have been the fact I was using an old 1x15. Would agree with the bright comment though, the choice of a 15 was to try and knock the treble out... I remember trying to find an 18 too!

[quote name='cd_david' post='631485' date='Oct 20 2009, 04:28 PM']I owned one for a few months and had it restored/ covering and capacitors. Very loud amp but also VERY bright, had to have the bass on full and treble on 0 to get a usable tone.[/quote]

were u able to counteract this by rolling treble back on your bass?

[quote name='Jigster' post='631434' date='Oct 20 2009, 03:41 PM']Have a chance to get one of these at around the £350 mark - recently re-conditioned and overhauled, seems pretty sweet - no DI of course as it's a late 60's I believe, what are people's thoughts on mic'ing a bass cab, shud a bass always be DI'd?

Ta[/quote]
The very first amp I had - in about 1974 - was a Treble 'n' Bass 50SV like this:

I wouldn't really recommend it very highly but it certainly did the job for me at the time.

Edited by EssentialTension

I remember playing through a Selmer treble and bass 50 when I first started playing bass, used for a few gigs and regularly for practices. My old man had it lying around, in fact I think he still does. Wasn't too bad actually, although I do remember it being quite bright.

Not sure I would pay anything near £350 for it though, although it might not be the same one you're looking at.

mine comes with a non working reverb ! a 50rv i think and played heartily for a good few years with a guitar and a or vox mic too

the channels can be de resistored ( is that a word ? ) to give 2 similar inputs if needed

Not a bad sound at all and built until 79 or so ( when of course we all wanted mosfet )

£350 a little steep for my taste ( mines currently under offer for a ton less )

a good meaty tone through 12 s and 15 s but lacking a mid for use thru my 10 s

live mic can be problematic in many instances so DI is de rigeur

all round decent tone but maybe lacking in a few areas and like an old motor or house might allways need some fettling

Gary
v8

[quote name='Jigster' post='634210' date='Oct 23 2009, 10:19 AM']thanks to all for the feedback so far - have decided not go with this as it happens - fell in love with the idea of the valves, but not sure it should be these valves in particular[/quote]
I do think you could do better at the price quoted. Good luck.

[quote name='Jigster' post='631507' date='Oct 20 2009, 04:42 PM']were u able to counteract this by rolling treble back on your bass?[/quote]

Yes i could, it had a very usable sound especially when used with my Sansamp but my mistake, mine was a Bassmaster 30 watt amp as below.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by cd_david

I had one of these in 1981, when I joined my first proper band. As I remember it was this one:

[url="http://www.ampaholics.org.uk/basmaster%20FNT.jpg"]http://www.ampaholics.org.uk/basmaster%20FNT.jpg[/url]

Only with ordinary black Tolex-y covering. I also had a matching 2x12 cab, I think I paid about £30 for both from a charity shop! It seemed pretty loud to me at the time but I probably didn't know much better... :rolleyes:

I can't exactly remember what happened to it - I have an idea that the basement where we practised got flooded & it was ruined, along with a bass bin I made with my Dad. Wish I still had that. :)

Jon.