Why become a member? ×

Mamas Gun

Sean

I managed to see the band, Mamas Gun playing in Bristol on Thursday night and it was the first time in ages that a band has had me hooked from the first bar. They also look great, which is all part of show biz, I know but they looked absolutely right for what they were playing.

Check them out [url="http://www.mamasgun.co.uk/#/home"]here[/url] if you haven't already. I couldn't believe these guys had stayed under my radar; it's melodic groove based soul/funk with vocals that are very reminiscent of The Stylistics, Marvin Gaye, The temps, The Four Tops etc.

The bassist and drummer were fantastic and grooved as well as anyone I heard. The bassist is Rex Horan, I'd not heard of him before but chatting to him afterward he seems like a really great guy and is a self-confessed gear nut. He has a really ballsy sound and his style reminded me of Jerry Jemmott, Stuart Zender, George Porter Jnr and a few others.

If you get the chance to see them, go; their stage show is fabulous and the moves will make you grin. I was feeling a bit grumpy and down in the dumps on Thursday but this lot turned me round and made it a great day in the end. :)

Edited by Sean

Yeh, he's a wicked guy and fantastic bassist and all round muso. I hope the band does well, it's good to hear a band with their sound and skills getting some wide recognition.

If you like their stuff buy the album, they seem to be working really hard to get it on the map at the moment.

Nice One!!

[quote name='fingerz' post='648771' date='Nov 8 2009, 01:57 PM']If you like their stuff buy the album, they seem to be working really hard to get it on the map at the moment.

Nice One!![/quote]

I bought two copies right after the show and got them signed. One for me and one as a birthday pressie for another basschatter.

[quote name='Sean' post='648758' date='Nov 8 2009, 01:42 PM']I managed to see the band, Mamas Gun playing in Bristol on Thursday night and it was the first time in ages that a band has had me hooked from the first bar. They also look great, which is all part of show biz, I know but they looked absolutely right for what they were playing.

Check them out [url="http://www.mamasgun.co.uk/#/home"]here[/url] if you haven't already. I couldn't believe these guys had stayed under my radar; it's melodic groove based soul/funk with vocals that are very reminiscent of The Stylistics, Marvin Gaye, The temps, The Four Tops etc.

The bassist and drummer were fantastic and grooved as well as anyone I heard. The bassist is Rex Horan, I'd not heard of him before but chatting to him afterward he seems like a really great guy and is a self-confessed gear nut. He has a really ballsy sound and his style reminded me of Jerry Jemmott, Stuart Zender, George Porter Jnr and a few others.

If you get the chance to see them, go; their stage show is fabulous and the moves will make you grin. I was feeling a bit grumpy and down in the dumps on Thursday but this lot turned me round and made it a great day in the end. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Both Rex & the drummer, Jack Pollitt played together some years ago with a female artist called Sam Obernik if I recall correctly.. And before that Jack played for a guy I used to manage back in the late 90's called Simon Warner who was signed to One Little Indian..

Rex & Jack are both great players and it's really nice to see what they're up to these days.. So thanks for posting it up here Sean - that's made my day!:)