Why become a member? ×

MusicWonderland.co.uk

Spinner

Hi all,

I've just bought a Shure SM58 from them for £70 - seems like a good price. Possibly suspiciously low. Has anyone else bought anything from them and has it proven OK? I was stung once by an dodgy eBay seller (although I got my own back) so I tend to be a little wary these days.

Anyway, anyone else have any opinions/experiences to share on them or their USA partner/parent, MusicWonderland.com?

Cheers,

Spinner

Thats stupidly cheap.
Maybe their stock is brought in from the US Parent, which does mean Shure UK won't look after you, should it go wrong.
Then again SM58's shouldn't go wrong.
It could be a fake, but Shure would be all over it, there have been loads around recently, and they're quick to put a stop to it.
You should post detailed pics when you get it, and i'll tell you. I've been selling these for 8 years, so i'll spot any oddness the packaging etc, if it would help.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='654080' date='Nov 13 2009, 10:16 PM']Thats stupidly cheap.
Maybe their stock is brought in from the US Parent, which does mean Shure UK won't look after you, should it go wrong.
Then again SM58's shouldn't go wrong.
It could be a fake, but Shure would be all over it, there have been loads around recently, and they're quick to put a stop to it.
You should post detailed pics when you get it, and i'll tell you. I've been selling these for 8 years, so i'll spot any oddness the packaging etc, if it would help.[/quote]

Cheers, I'll do that. I think the theory of the USA parent supplying the mikes sounds most likely; if that is the case, I hope Customs charges won't be too high. I'll try and post photos once it arrives.

If it should fail (unlikely as it may be) is it possible to replace parts oneself? That is to say, is it at all modular?

Thanks,

Spinner

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='654103' date='Nov 13 2009, 10:45 PM']er, if they fail, and thats big if (i've seen less that 5 out of a probable 2000 plus i've sold, the bits aint cheap.
See what happens eh?[/quote]

I have an ancient SM58 that has a weaker sound than my modern one. Can get a new cartridge insert to sort it or are they about £70?
:)

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='654190' date='Nov 14 2009, 01:22 AM']unsure of the specifics.
The 'baskets' i.e. The gob cover bit are £15, so anything other part than that is bound to be even crazier...[/quote]

Yup, £76 from Thomann
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_r59_sm_58_kapsel.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/shure_r59_sm_58_kapsel.htm[/url]
I'll jut buy a newish used SM57/58 and swap the capsule I guess...

I'm happy with the relic body and the mashed up basket on mine. It looks like Otway has used it for a few years ..
Natural relicing too :)

I wonder if Bravewood do mics :rolleyes:

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='654190' date='Nov 14 2009, 01:22 AM']The 'baskets' i.e. The gob cover bit are £15, so anything other part than that is bound to be even crazier...[/quote]

I got a cover for my SM58 for £7 from Thomann (it was part of a larger order, so postage was swallowed up)
Si