Why become a member? ×

Dontcha just love cleaning out your rehersal space?

maxrossell

I'm not actually being sarcastic. I don't normally enjoy the twice-yearly cleanout, but this one has yielded some gems.

The building we're in has bands sharing rooms, but due to circumstances we're on our own at the moment, which means that everything in our room is technically ours. Normally that means we inherit about four hundred broken drum sticks, a million fag-ends and six billion empty drink cans, but this time as well as all the other usual crap we found that over the years we've accumulated a spectacular amount of cables.

Stuff we didn't know we had includes a half dozen XLR-XLRs, a few XLR-jacks, something like thirty instrument jacks of various lengths and maybe another thirty patchbay jacks, plus two or three dynamic mics I've never even seen before, and a completely intact mic stand. We also have a bunch of four-ways that are entirely new to us. Oh, and a load of kettle leads.

You'd be amazed at the stuff bands leave behind when they vacate a practice room. If I tried to buy all this stuff we just found I'd be down over two hundred quid.

Wahey!

What weird stuff have you found lying about in the corners of practice rooms? My best find to date has to be that all-valve head I have going in the for-sale section at the moment.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='657764' date='Nov 18 2009, 01:50 AM']I'm after a Speakon to bare ends cable to use with a PA amp with binding posts if you have something suitable.[/quote]

Speakon I'm afraid is one of the kinds of cable we [i]didn't[/i] find in there.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='657763' date='Nov 18 2009, 01:42 AM']...everything in our room is technically ours...[/quote]

I'd suggest labelling it all with your band's name. At some point, you might not be alone in that room anymore, and you'll want to be able to say "oh yeah, that microphone's ours."

S.P.

Shame you dont live in Weston....you need a Ninja cleaner !
I do part time cleaning work and one of my jobs is the Emarty music academy...loadsa rooms and you would be amazed at the ammount of chocolate bar wrappers and beer bottles I shift. The worst one is broken strings that get trodden into the carpet that you dont see in the semi darkness....and whats with the inevitable pile of wood shavings that I find where the drummer sits !!
The owners have a puppy now so I find doggy chews everywhere and the occaisional slipper !!