Why become a member? ×

Recording, a bloody humbling experience.....

Beedster

Two days of recording tracks 100% live in the studio has reminded me of a few things:

It's bloody hard work
A good natured engineer is the difference between success and failure (thanks Matt)
It's way easier to play fretless live on stage than in a studio
Persistance is the key to getting the it right. Never let anyone say it's good enough as it is
Mesa Boogie bass tone is hard to beat

Wanna thank the guys in the band, especially Jon on drums, for an awesome two days of recording in which we've managed to get down six bloody good tracks. We took the decision to do them live with no overdubs, and we did it, and they're all the better for it. OK, there were some fraught looks, especially when the only wrong note in a take is 4.50 into a 4.55 track and you have to start again, but what a great feeling when you get it.

Beer now :)

C

Nice one Chris. When are the mastered final versions going to be ready? We (as in my punk band) found it took ages to get to the final versions from the "studio days", albeit that was largely down to depeleted funds. Its such a great feeling to slot the mastered, final CD in your player! And even cooler when it appears in iTunes and on Amazon.co.uk

Best of luck with the finalising - and presumably this means its time for a celebratory new bass? :)

It's a relief when it's all done isn't it? And I second the call for beer. I mailed off the audio master CD and the artwork master CD for our third album last friday - went straight to the pub for a quick one (and it was just the one, and quick, as I had to meet the kids from school). I'll make up for that when we get the boxes of product back from the factory!

It took 5 sessions, 4 of them with me setting up the mics and operating the laptop, and one where we had a live room booked with an assistant setting up and hitting the 'go' button! Good-natured he certainly was, and kept out of our way, a good lad. We recorded unamplified upright bass, drums, vocals and guitar (electric) or banjo (unamplified) or harmonica (through the guitar combo) simultaneously, and added guitar, backing vocals, harmonica or percussion to some, not all, of the tracks. As well as playing and engineering I was doing all the artwork (quark xpress and photoshop), so it was a real treat to send it all off to the factory. I don't do the mixing/mastering though - even if I had the experience to do so, I think there's a lot to be said for getting a fresh pair of ears in at that stage.

[quote name='Clarky' post='662271' date='Nov 22 2009, 11:43 PM']Nice one Chris. When are the mastered final versions going to be ready? We (as in my punk band) found it took ages to get to the final versions from the "studio days", albeit that was largely down to depeleted funds. Its such a great feeling to slot the mastered, final CD in your player! And even cooler when it appears in iTunes and on Amazon.co.uk

Best of luck with the finalising - and presumably this means its time for a celebratory new bass? :)[/quote]

Hey mate, it's interesting that two of them are ready to go as is, I guess that's the beauty of playing live. Bummer is that I let the guys talk me into using my Precision (heavy and thumpy) on a track that I knew needed the Jazz (J-Retroed and really bright). I'm regretting it so much that I'm gonna pay for us to go back in and re-record the track in question - the tracks with the Jazz are just so much better, really tight with the drums and really alive.

We're hoping to have mastered versions pretty soon, so I look forward to getting a few on here for your opinions.

Re the new bass, well, it's interesting. Bottom line is I've realised I need a good fretted Precision for the tracks where fretless tone doesn't matter but being bang on the note does. I've a fretless Jazz, 2 fretless Precisions and a fretless Ric, and TBH I think it's the Ric that has to go. Despite the fact that it's bloody lovely, it just doesn't work with the sound the band are after (it's the only bass I own that I didn't record this weekend). Bottom line is that I'm a Fender dude through and through, I've tried everything else, but this weekend has reinforced my belief that you only need two basses, a passive Precision with flats and an active Jazz with rounds.

C

[quote name='teej' post='662274' date='Nov 22 2009, 11:45 PM']I think there's a lot to be said for getting a fresh pair of ears in at that stage.[/quote]

Very wise, we're not going anywhere near the mastering process, even allowing the sound guys to select which versions they think are best to work with. We're just too close and, as individuals, too involved with our own instruments

C

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='662367' date='Nov 23 2009, 08:18 AM']Did you record with the Ibby in the end, Chris?[/quote]

Hey mate
No, after all that I didn't! There was one track on which I really wanted a lined fretless because I always find it hard to pitch as the guitarist is playing slide and the vocal tends to wander a little. Tried one take with the Ibby and it was still problematic so used a fretted Stingray instead. Much as I love fretless tone the certaintly of frets are on occasion a huge relief.
The Ibby's lovely but as I only bought it for this session I may move it on (how many fretless Precisions does a guys need?). Please let me know if you'd like it back :)
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='jakesbass' post='662643' date='Nov 23 2009, 01:37 PM']I think I must be weird. I love recording as I like to hear back what can be improved upon. I am driven to getting things just right for the song and always want to hear how I did, gigs don't often give you that chance.[/quote]

Not so weird, I love the truth that recording gives you too.

I also like the introverted nature of recording, its the polar opposite of gigging for me, yet I love both.

[quote name='Beedster' post='662378' date='Nov 23 2009, 08:43 AM']The Ibby's lovely but as I only bought it for this session I may move it on (how many fretless Precisions does a guys need?). Please let me know if you'd like it back :)[/quote]

No Chris, I've used the proceeds from the Ibby to fund the conversion of my Lakland Duck Dunn. I had to buy a fretless neck, then have it Ibby-ised by my luthier to match those photos of the Ibby I was taking when you came round to collect.

I started with three P's, two of which were fretted. I sold the fretless, converted one of the fretted, and now I can justify keeping the two I have left. :rolleyes:

As my teenaged daughter would say, "simples". Or perhaps "jokes". Or is it "jakes"? Does anyone know what all this gibberish means?

[quote name='jakesbass' post='662643' date='Nov 23 2009, 01:37 PM']I think I must be weird. I love recording as I like to hear back what can be improved upon. I am driven to getting things just right for the song and always want to hear how I did, gigs don't often give you that chance.[/quote]

Agreed, I think the reason I found this session humbling was because my fretless playing has been really well received by band and punters at gigs and it was sobering to hear what it really sounds like. OK, the studio is far less forgiving that a noisy club, but that's not really the point is it?

[quote name='51m0n' post='662650' date='Nov 23 2009, 01:41 PM']Not so weird, I love the truth that recording gives you too.

I also like the introverted nature of recording, its the polar opposite of gigging for me, yet I love both.[/quote]

Agreed

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='662666' date='Nov 23 2009, 01:56 PM']I love recording. Ironic because I have never actually recorded anything I can say I am 100% happy with. If I had to find music to put on a MySpace page, I would struggle to find anything I could say I was proud of. Sad but true.[/quote]

I think this is the first time in 20 years that I AM 100% happy with what we did, or with at least a decent percentage of it, which, logically, means I'm not actually 100% happy with it! Seriously though, three great songs, two good and one adequate is a pretty good outcome for two 8 hour sessions.

C

Edited by Beedster