Why become a member? ×

Scott LaFaro transcription

Bilbo

This one I started years ago, before I got Transcribe software. I was never able to finish it at the time but I got hold off another transcription in Double Bassist and was able to fill in the gaps!! Yes, I cheated but you all get the benefits for free so don't sue me :)

Need to apologise for some of the beams; my Sibelius is defaulting to an unhelpful pattern of linking triplets across whole bars. Makes it hard to read but, if you print it off and use tippex, it should be of use :rolleyes:

Wonderful transcription, thanks Bilbo!

Always good to learn some Scotty lines. There was quite a good article about him, and a few bits and bobs of music in the latest issue of Bass Player (I don't usually read it, but it caught my eye on the newstand).

Wish I could transcribe half as well as you do......

One of the great Jazz albums, and a wonderful solo from such a young man. The tone is so individual, and the whole album reeks of quality. It had the same effect on me the first time I head Heavy Weather. I remember Paul Scott doing a transcription of this in bassist ages ago but lost it. Thanks a lot!

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='667096' date='Nov 27 2009, 09:33 AM']Bilbo - thanks for this. I don't know this album (I'm ashamed to say) and I can't seem to find it on Spotify or iTunes. Can you tell me the tempo its played at ?

The Major[/quote]

Try here:-

[url="http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/My_Romance_take_2/5175928"]http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/song/My_Ro..._take_2/5175928[/url]

If itunes and spotify cant help, then grooveshark often can :)

Medium up I think (he says, humming it in his mind having only listened to it on Wednesday!). It gets hard at the when you hit the long strings of triplets later on but it is perfectly playable. Its an interesting point but I find that some of the new 'wonder' players like Wooten and Manring require a radical new approach to the instrument and a total revision of the technical variables for anyone interested in exploring their techniques and compositions. LaFaro, on the other hand, took what were quite conventional ideas and moved them on in a way that was generally quite accessible to students wishing to work that hard - it iwas the IDEA that was new, not the executions. Jaco was the same - conventional techniques taken to a new level of expression.

[quote name='spike' post='668064' date='Nov 28 2009, 10:28 AM']Bilbo, I really appreciate all these transcriptions, they're helping to improve my reading skills.[/quote]

That's why I post them! I always remember being hacked off at the lack of interesting material when I was learning to read (still am if I am honest) - it was all fairly tedious classical stuff with very predictable lines that I could predict so I was not really reading them. So I thought I would put together some reading material for people who are interested in learning the dots but wanted something they could really get their teeth into.

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='667096' date='Nov 27 2009, 09:33 AM']Bilbo - thanks for this. I don't know this album (I'm ashamed to say) and I can't seem to find it on Spotify or iTunes. Can you tell me the tempo its played at ?

The Major[/quote]

It is on there listed as My Romance (take 1) - The Best Of Bill Evans

[quote name='Major-Minor' post='669844' date='Nov 30 2009, 10:57 AM']Got it now - thanks Bilbo. One small point:
Bar 26 last 4 quavers and Bar 27 first crotchet triplet should be 8va.

The Major[/quote]

I should send these to you for proof reading. I sometimes find that some of these details are a result of a slip of the mouse when fiddling with Sibelius things. I will have a look at it when I can (not at home right now).

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='669897' date='Nov 30 2009, 12:21 PM']I should send these to you for proof reading. I sometimes find that some of these details are a result of a slip of the mouse when fiddling with Sibelius things. I will have a look at it when I can (not at home right now).[/quote]
Bilbo - I'd be very happy (honored in fact) to check stuff through before publication.

The Major