Why become a member? ×

wal bass - are they really worth the premium?

blind pilot

Had a Flame Sycamore fretless lined WAL early 80's. Bought it new and it had a dead note on the Eb on G string. Contacte WAL and they weren't interested and complete disappointment for me. Sold it within a year.
On hindsight the dead note may have been a simple fix but for a young enthusiastic bassist back then i had no great knowledge of basses and what can cause a dead spot.
I've had similar issues with other basses since that were simple fixes like saddle not seated properly on my Overwater custom 6 fretless, changing strings or gauge of strings have resolved similar issues too. Even adjusting neck relief has resolved it for some reason. Sounds like i've had a lot of duff basses :lol:
Other than the dead note i loved the tone and feel of the WAL bass and would love another.
Dave

I owned 2 Wals, a mk2 5 string which I sold to fund the mk3 5 string. 2 of the best basses I've owned and I regret selling them. Sadly another is out of my price range these days.

Are they worth it? A 2 year waiting list says they are to a lot of people.

For me they were the best bass for studio work and they just owned all my original bands. I preferred my Lakland and Lull for the covers and blues/rock stuff so the mk3 was finally sold. Ho hum!