Why become a member? ×

Can I run a Phil Jones Bassbuddy into a 4ohm speaker?

Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='675325' date='Dec 5 2009, 11:04 PM']Says 8ohm in the instructions, I'm assuming it means that 4ohms will be problematic?[/quote]

That would be pretty unusual Chris!

Just checked on-line and the manual states;

16. HIGH LEVEL LINE OUT AND SPEAKER OUT JACK.
The Bass Buddy will work on any speaker load from 16Ω down to 4Ω, which is the safe maximum load for this amplifier. Any load with impedances less than 4Ω will cause the internal amplifier fuse to blow.

I'd say you're safe, even though the diagram of the BB shows a legend on the output indicating 8 ohm load! :)

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='675381' date='Dec 6 2009, 01:18 AM']That would be pretty unusual Chris!

Just checked on-line and the manual states;

16. HIGH LEVEL LINE OUT AND SPEAKER OUT JACK.
The Bass Buddy will work on any speaker load from 16Ω down to 4Ω, which is the safe maximum load for this amplifier. Any load with impedances less than 4Ω will cause the internal amplifier fuse to blow.

I'd say you're safe, even though the diagram of the BB shows a legend on the output indicating 8 ohm load! :)[/quote]

Cheers John, I feel a bit foolish that you found that in the online manual 'cos I clearly missed it, or at least looked at a different version. The reason I asked was that the manual I have states "Speaker: 8ohms" in a way that makes you think "OK, it ain't gonna like 4ohms" (i.e., it doesn't say "...W at 8ohms or ....W at 4ohms" like so many other amps I've used. Given that it's not by any means a conventional amplifier, it seemed best to check before I plug into the amp in question.

Thanks again John

Chris

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='675524' date='Dec 6 2009, 11:17 AM']No worries Chris. It piqued my interest as I couldn't imagine an amp (even this buddy 'thing' :) ) that wouldn't do 4 ohm, though it did take me a couple of attempts to clarify the output ohmage.[/quote]

Yep, neither could I, but then assumption is the mother of all cock-ups!

Cheers

Chris