Why become a member? ×

Precision afficinardos/fanboys

Sibob

I just got hold of an '85 Japanese Squier Precision and I'm wondering how you people set your pickups!
I'm a bit of a noob at getting a good P sound, as I'm definitly in the Jazz Bass fanboy camp :)

There's obviously the classic 'triangle' setting, where the middle of the two pickups are higher than the treble and bass sides. Or do you have them flat?
Or is it very much to do with the individual instrument?

Cheers
Si

:ph34r: Here's the secret:

First, align your bass neck to point at the Great Pyramid of Giza (South-East-ish). Now, dip your screwdriver in Holy Water and dry with a sheet of paper torn from Aleister Crowley's 'Book Of The Law'. That's to balance the forces of Light and Dark.

With the sanctified screwdriver, carefully align the pick-ups so the angle precisely replicates the vertical point of a Masonic Triangle. That's about 60 degrees, so they might look a bit pointy-uppy.

Now, screw them flat again, plug the bass in and adjust till each string sounds sort of balanced with the others.