Why become a member? ×

Would my amp be enough to drive a Compact?

WonderHorse

Morning.

I'm looking at getting a Compact once I have the money but I'm not sure if my amp could provide sufficient power to get the best out of the Compact.

It's a Trace elliot GP7SM 130. Which has 130 watts and runs at a peak of 260 watts and can run two 8 ohm speakers at 4 ohms. So I'm worried it wouldn't power the Compact sufficiently.

Would I be alright with a Compact or would a Double Midget be better?

**EDIT**

I forgot to add that the band I'm in play sort of British rock and roll, think the Beatleas, The Clash, The Who etc...

I like quite a bass soundy but I play a jazz so there's also a bit of mid punch in there.

Edited by WonderHorse

It really depends on how loud you play and how clean and bassy a tone you like. What cab are you using at the moment?

I know for me to get the loudness I'd want out of so few watts I'd want something big like a 6x10"/4x12"/2x15", at which point it makes more sense (for me) to get more power and thus have to carry less cabbage (sic).

Alex

I'd expect your VBC412 to be as sensitive as two Compacts or one Vintage - it's an ideal cab for getting lots of SPL out of few watts. A Vintage will handle lots more power and thus go quite a bit louder in the end, whilst with a powerful aggressive amp a Compact might get quite close to the VBC412 at full (clean) blast.

Anyway, I'd guess a Compact would be about as loud as half your current cab - so how do you think you'd get on if it was a 2x12", not a 4x12"?

Alex

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='683975' date='Dec 14 2009, 01:47 PM']I don't think I'd fair too badly tbh.

At practice and at smallish gigs I don't turn the amp past halfway and that gives me PLENTY of sound.[/quote]

Unfortunately my experience with most Trace heads is that halfway on the volume is pretty much full power - after that point it just gets dirtier as it clips on louder notes.

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='683975' date='Dec 14 2009, 01:47 PM']Would the DOuble Midget be the same?[/quote]

The D.M. will be significantly louder in the mids and highs (probably as loud as the Marshall) and a bit louder in the lows, so it depends on how much bottom you need. Sensitivity in the lows is directional proportional to enclosure size (assuming equal LF cut-off - and I'd expect the Marshall and the D.M. to have similar bass extension despite the very different drivers and alignment) so with only a few watts big lows need big cabs.

Alex