Why become a member? ×

Pat Wilkins Jazz Bass - Utterly Gorgeous!

xilddx

Pat Wilkins does the finishes for many top end USA manufacturers like Lakland. He builds a few from top quality parts each year and they retail from between $2,300 to about $5,000. I bought this from BC's bobpalt, who's a diamond to deal with, cheers Bob. It's a beautiful player, medium low action, smooth and easy to play, the very wide range of tones from the DiMarzios and Demeter preamp are rich and sophisticated. The finish is off-white pearl, which is subtle and very beautiful.

This is an extract from the email Pat sent me when I asked him about the bass a couple of weeks ago ..

[i]Hi Nigel

This bass is made from parts that I collected from an outside source in Japan. The body wood is 2 piece alder, center seamed like I specified and the neck is maple with a rosewood fingerboard, bound with block inlays. I did all the work myself including the finish work, fret work and assembly. It has all the hardware and guts that I would use on one of my high end basses like Hipshot bridge and tuners, Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups and a Demeter 3 band preamp (bass, middle, treble boost and cut). It's got a bone nut and the cavities are shielded. Pretty much exactly like my high end basses. I was able to save a lot of money by not having to make the body and neck so I was able to keep the costs down on it. I believe that if I made this bass today the price would be between $2400-$2600 US.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any more questions please write back and I'll do my best to answer them. I hope you enjoy the bass for a long time. Cheers

Peace
[/i]
Pat Wilkins
Wilkins Guitar Finishes
15734 Stagg St
Van Nuys, CA 91406
818 909 7310 ph
818 909 7439 fax
www.wilkinsguitars.com
[email protected]

Edited by silddx

Thanks very much gents :) MM20's lovely 62RI MIJ P gave me a bit of a hard on for something Fender-like. I like MIJ Fenders but don't dig on the USA ones that I've played and owned. So I thought I'd indulge in a Fender Killah. Something to rival my Corvette $$. This does it for me. I feel like it's a black tie and DJ event whenever I play it. Can't wait to gig it.

I'll get some pics up of the white Steinberger double neck I just got from sixshooter. My band cracked up when they saw that last night :rolleyes: But if she wants me to play bass and guitar in her band, I'll be buggered if I'm gonna carry separate instruments around. I'm only likkle - and so is my motor car.

[quote name='silddx' post='681855' date='Dec 12 2009, 12:23 AM']Thank you very much :) I wasn't dissin Fenders as such, it's just I can never get the action low enough. I liked your USA P MM20 had off you actually. Very nice bass.[/quote]

Truth. I found my Fenders had to be shimmmmmmmmmmed to the max!

• 2 months later...

Edit to remove a post that I meant to go in another thread entirely - damnably fiendish tabbed browsing makes me look like a a###hat once again :)

On another note - thats the nicest jazz I've seen for a very long time Nige :rolleyes:

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' post='752120' date='Feb 20 2010, 07:45 PM']Edit to remove a post that I meant to go in another thread entirely - damnably fiendish tabbed browsing makes me look like a a###hat once again :rolleyes:

On another note - thats the nicest jazz I've seen for a very long time Nige :lol:[/quote]
Thank you mate.

Let's hope someone with £800 thinks so too :)