Why become a member? ×

DHA DI-EQ

Kirky

[quote name='Kirky' post='685200' date='Dec 15 2009, 02:09 PM']I'm tempted to get a DHA DI-EQ - probably the one with the headphone amp etc. Anyone tried this? Any reviews?

Cheers,

Martin[/quote]
Hi,

I currently use one (the single EQ DI) for both electric bass and double bass. It sort of replaced a Sadowsky pre DI. The nice thing about the DHA is the variable mid adjustment. That aspect of it really helps tame the K&K Bassmax pickup on the double bass. The mids and bass can be dropped down to achieve a tone close to acoustic for the double bass, at least in my circumstances.

For electric I run a Fender jazz and a 'Ray through it and again the EQ is very helpful, especially taming the 'Ray, as it is honky as a 'Ray should be.

I will say that I think the unit is very slightly mid-heavy, but this can be taken out easily with the mid adjustment and with some axes it's a bonus. The bass and treble adjustments are a bit more subtle than I anticipated but they seem to do the trick. Maybe the subtlety is actually a blessing as it takes a bigger twist to affect change rather than tiny movements that make big changes.

The DI is very clear and representative of the signal and EQ. The independent adjustments for the DI and unbalanced level is a nice feature. Plus the thing will really put out some signal when the level is maxed. I usually only have to run mine at 12 for a solid signal to my amp. But I feel it will easily drive a poweramp on it's own, which I believe was actually one of the requested features when Dave asked the forum about it's design.

Well worth the ££ as a tone shaper and DI all wrapped up in one. I love the tone of the Sadowsky but need more variety than it offers. This little unit does very well indeed.

Hope this helps.

That's very helpful thanks, TPJ.

My position is that I play an old Fender Musicmaster which doesn't have much tonal range. I like the fairly bassy, dead Motown sound that it has, but just want to have the option to make it a little bit more lively.

Martin